ERC Starting grant 2024

cgreco

Re: ERC Starting grant 2024

Post by cgreco » Mon Jul 15, 2024 10:07 pm

It means you got the grant congrats!
I was also on the reserve list this morning and received then an email for grant agreement preparation. I guess they allocated the extra budget in a second stage

marwyn

Post by marwyn » Mon Jul 15, 2024 10:37 pm

Congratulations to everyone who got it :)!

So, all in all, it seems that the magic link works. At least until they find out and patch it :)... Unfortunately my "EVALUATION" phase status turned out to be a B :(. I'm already thinking about something fresh for the nearest round of consolidator. Keep your fingers crossed....

keroro90

Post by keroro90 » Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:07 am

marwyn wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2024 10:37 pm
Congratulations to everyone who got it :)!

So, all in all, it seems that the magic link works. At least until they find out and patch it :)... Unfortunately my "EVALUATION" phase status turned out to be a B :(. I'm already thinking about something fresh for the nearest round of consolidator. Keep your fingers crossed....
I do not think they patched it, this workaround is working since 2018/19.
I remember checking the status for a MSCA-IF in the same exact way.

chemeng

Post by chemeng » Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:25 am

I was on reserve list of PE 8 (top 40 % funded) yesterday morning and in the evening I received the grant preparation letter to receive the funding. I checked with my NCP yesterday afternoon that there is an additional budget of 178.5 million euro to be awarded to the reserve list projects so I was quite hopeful. And I was ranking phase from the magic link. congrats to those who got it and thanks everyone for the discussions!

edermine

Post by edermine » Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:58 am

Hello everybody,
Yesterday morning I received a letter stating I was placed in the reserve list and, in the evening, I received an invitation for grant preparation, and a declaration of honour to sign.
Can you confirm to me that it means that the project is finally funded? Or do they just want all people on the reserve list to prepare the documents in case they would get funded?
Thanks to all for the discussions!

chemeng

Post by chemeng » Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:04 am

You got funded! I am in the same situation, and multiple sources told me that I got the funding. The latest email from ERC press team put it the clearest of all: 'You’ve received notification that your proposal for an ERC Starting Grant, XXXXX, has been selected for funding. We are now writing concerning any publicity actions that you or your host institution may be considering in relation to this. If you intend to publicise your new Starting Grant, we kindly ask that you only start doing so after the ERC’s press release is published at 12.00 noon CEST on Thursday, 5 September 2024.'

CGN

Post by CGN » Wed Jul 17, 2024 12:39 am

Hey guys, do you have any information about the redress procedure?
I got a B score despite many glowing reviews and only one critical review. Getting an "A not funded" would make the difference in dedicated national grants, do you think it is possible to challenge the score?
I feel it's very unfair to get a B score with those reviews and I know that some successful proposals got more critical reviews than my project.

asglani

Post by asglani » Wed Jul 17, 2024 6:29 am

CGN wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2024 12:39 am
I got a B score despite many glowing reviews and only one critical review. Getting an "A not funded" would make the difference in dedicated national grants, do you think it is possible to challenge the score?
I feel it's very unfair to get a B score with those reviews and I know that some successful proposals got more critical reviews than my project.
I was also somehow tempted to try it out, although most likely I will not do it.. the info is reported here: https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/funding-te ... +rejection

My understanding is that it is very unlikely they will accept it unless you are able to demonstrate that there was a clear irregularity in the evaluation procedure. Particularly, you should be very careful about not doing any complaint about the merit of the evaluation.
For example, if your panel gave already an explanation on why you got a B score, even if you think it is unfair, you cannot argue against it and probably there isn't much to do. If such explanation is not provided or it is very vague, you could try to say that there is an unjustified difference between your ranking and the evaluation of the reviewers..
Anyway, although difficult, I think that giving it a try does not harm... but take your time and be careful in the way you write your complaints

Toktok

Post by Toktok » Wed Jul 17, 2024 6:37 am

CGN wrote:
Can you try again next year? A colleague of mine went from a B (which reading the reviews seemed unjustified to me) to being funded next year by improving/ simplifying his proposal, without any change to the actual experiments in the proposal (I think he might have removed one experiment).

I once did a complaint (national funding body) and it was not at all a good experience. They took six month to reply, so I was always still thinking about the ‘what if’ and then the response was negative.

CGN

Post by CGN » Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:55 am

Toktok wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2024 6:37 am
CGN wrote:
Can you try again next year? A colleague of mine went from a B (which reading the reviews seemed unjustified to me) to being funded next year by improving/ simplifying his proposal, without any change to the actual experiments in the proposal (I think he might have removed one experiment).

I once did a complaint (national funding body) and it was not at all a good experience. They took six month to reply, so I was always still thinking about the ‘what if’ and then the response was negative.
I can try again, but I am not sure if I can succeed in the interview, as I am autistic and how it is conducted and managed doesn't work for me. For example, I have an auditory processing disorder and I received long and vague questions which I could not remember when I had to answer. I need a written question, more time to process it, and the way it is formulated should be straight to the point. I think this made the difference in my score.