MSCA-IF awardees in 2019 and academics networking

Kranthi Maniam
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:47 am

Re: MSCA-IF awardees in 2019 and academics networking

Post by Kranthi Maniam » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:31 am

Marjan wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:17 am
Kranthi Maniam wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:43 am
Marjan wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:02 am


I'm also still waiting. Week 4 after sending the documents. I think the new health situation affects the working hours. I will send a follow-up if I won't receive anything by the end of this week.
May I know which panel you are in??
CAR panel
Thanks, I shall wait until this week and send a follow up.

Robrad30
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:25 pm

Re: MSCA-IF awardees in 2019 and academics networking

Post by Robrad30 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:37 am

Hi everyone, I’ve a question regarding the breakdown of the salary. I’m in the SE panel, and my host is a biotech startup with no experience managing this kind of grant. HR are a little confused about the mobility allowance. The documentation provided by the EU makes it seem that this is a monthly payment provided for moving to a new country. However, our national contact point told them it was just for travel expenses like going to conferences etc. I’ve seen multiple instances where the mobility allowance is referred to as part of the monthly salary, and if that’s the case, it obviously can’t be for travel etc. Am I wrong in thinking the mobility allowance is part of my total salary?

Shapovalov
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:03 am

Re: MSCA-IF awardees in 2019 and academics networking

Post by Shapovalov » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:05 am

I'm also still waiting. And it has been a month. Was informed that they will take earlier starting dates as priority. Since I had given a start date at the end of this year, they will quite understandably work towards finishing the earlier starting ones first.
The virus will definitely slow things down. Everything has come to a grinding halt this week across entire mainland Western Europe.


@Robrad: You have understood things correctly.
The mobility allowance is just part of a monthly salary.
With two exceptions:
1) If you want, you can request part (or the entirety) of the mobility allowance upfront, for example, to cover moving costs. Without providing bills of moving expenses.
2) I read somewhere that in some countries, the mobility allowance and the family allowance (if applicable) could be tax-free. Still don't a country where it is tax-free though. (If any MC fellows from previous years are reading this, maybe then can comment on this aspect?)

For most, if not all, people, point 2 will not apply, and the entire salary will be taxable.
Then, and if you don't want part of the mobility salary upfront, the entire amount is your monthly gross salary:
4880*CountryAdjustment + 600 + (ifFamily)500
The entire Researcher Unit Costs come to you (with taxes applicable).

Travel costs come out of the Institutional unit costs.
650 to the host for management, etc. Entirely for the host.
800 "Research, training and networking costs". Out of this comes conference visits, travel, visa costs, etc. And if you don't use this for whatever reason for it's intended purpose, it can be used to increase your salary.


See page 23 of the manual. Showing this to your host should be enough to convince them.

Kranthi Maniam
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:47 am

Re: MSCA-IF awardees in 2019 and academics networking

Post by Kranthi Maniam » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:59 am

Shapovalov wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:05 am
I'm also still waiting. And it has been a month. Was informed that they will take earlier starting dates as priority. Since I had given a start date at the end of this year, they will quite understandably work towards finishing the earlier starting ones first.
The virus will definitely slow things down. Everything has come to a grinding halt this week across entire mainland Western Europe.
@Robrad: You have understood things correctly.
The mobility allowance is just part of a monthly salary.
With two exceptions:
1) If you want, you can request part (or the entirety) of the mobility allowance upfront, for example, to cover moving costs. Without providing bills of moving expenses.
2) I read somewhere that in some countries, the mobility allowance and the family allowance (if applicable) could be tax-free. Still don't a country where it is tax-free though. (If any MC fellows from previous years are reading this, maybe then can comment on this aspect?)

For most, if not all, people, point 2 will not apply, and the entire salary will be taxable.
Then, and if you don't want part of the mobility salary upfront, the entire amount is your monthly gross salary:
4880*CountryAdjustment + 600 + (ifFamily)500
The entire Researcher Unit Costs come to you (with taxes applicable).
Travel costs come out of the Institutional unit costs.

650 to the host for management, etc. Entirely for the host.
800 "Research, training and networking costs". Out of this comes conference visits, travel, visa costs, etc. And if you don't use this for whatever reason for it's intended purpose, it can be used to increase your salary.
See page 23 of the manual. Showing this to your host should be enough to convince them.
With respect to the priorities, I think that those who have submitted the declaration earlier and starting early are the ones taken as priority. As of now 525 projects have been signed the grant agreement ( You can see it in the call H2020- MSCA-IF-2019, funded projects). Out of them few have starting dates next year and few of them have already started and few of them somewhere in between. I expect that by mid of april, they would finish all the signatures and payments.
I was told to wait until then by my University when asked about the status. But the metro line bar is changed to blue 1.5 weeks back.

Kranthi Maniam
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:47 am

Re: MSCA-IF awardees in 2019 and academics networking

Post by Kranthi Maniam » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:49 am

Marjan wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:02 am
Kranthi Maniam wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:42 pm
Marjan wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:13 am

Thanks, in my case, still waiting after almost 3 weeks of sending the documents.
In my case, still waiting and its more than 3 weeks after sending the documents.
I'm also still waiting. Week 4 after sending the documents. I think the new health situation affects the working hours. I will send a follow-up if I won't receive anything by the end of this week.
Have you received any update mate??I have not received anything as of now. I expect to delay till Easter as the Universities will be closed from 5 PM today

Marjan
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:46 pm

Re: MSCA-IF awardees in 2019 and academics networking

Post by Marjan » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:48 pm

Kranthi Maniam wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:49 am
Marjan wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:02 am
Kranthi Maniam wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:42 pm


In my case, still waiting and its more than 3 weeks after sending the documents.
I'm also still waiting. Week 4 after sending the documents. I think the new health situation affects the working hours. I will send a follow-up if I won't receive anything by the end of this week.
Have you received any update mate??I have not received anything as of now. I expect to delay till Easter as the Universities will be closed from 5 PM today
Nothing yet! My host sent a follow-up massage 2 days ago. No reply from the officer also.

Marjan
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:46 pm

Re: MSCA-IF awardees in 2019 and academics networking

Post by Marjan » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:55 pm

Kranthi Maniam wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:49 am
Marjan wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:02 am
Kranthi Maniam wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:42 pm


In my case, still waiting and its more than 3 weeks after sending the documents.
I'm also still waiting. Week 4 after sending the documents. I think the new health situation affects the working hours. I will send a follow-up if I won't receive anything by the end of this week.
Have you received any update mate??I have not received anything as of now. I expect to delay till Easter as the Universities will be closed from 5 PM today
Universities will be closed from today till 13 April?

Kranthi Maniam
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:47 am

Re: MSCA-IF awardees in 2019 and academics networking

Post by Kranthi Maniam » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:13 pm

Marjan wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:55 pm
Kranthi Maniam wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:49 am
Marjan wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:02 am


I'm also still waiting. Week 4 after sending the documents. I think the new health situation affects the working hours. I will send a follow-up if I won't receive anything by the end of this week.
Have you received any update mate??I have not received anything as of now. I expect to delay till Easter as the Universities will be closed from 5 PM today
Universities will be closed from today till 13 April?
Yes it seems so

Kranthi Maniam
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:47 am

Re: MSCA-IF awardees in 2019 and academics networking

Post by Kranthi Maniam » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:13 pm

Marjan wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:48 pm
Kranthi Maniam wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:49 am
Marjan wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:02 am


I'm also still waiting. Week 4 after sending the documents. I think the new health situation affects the working hours. I will send a follow-up if I won't receive anything by the end of this week.
Have you received any update mate??I have not received anything as of now. I expect to delay till Easter as the Universities will be closed from 5 PM today
Nothing yet! My host sent a follow-up massage 2 days ago. No reply from the officer also.
Bit scary but we cant do anything other than waiting

Marjan
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:46 pm

Re: MSCA-IF awardees in 2019 and academics networking

Post by Marjan » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:40 pm

Kranthi Maniam wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:13 pm
Marjan wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:48 pm
Kranthi Maniam wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:49 am

Have you received any update mate??I have not received anything as of now. I expect to delay till Easter as the Universities will be closed from 5 PM today
Nothing yet! My host sent a follow-up massage 2 days ago. No reply from the officer also.
Bit scary but we cant do anything other than waiting
All the best. Sooner or later, we will receive the agreement. Delay is so normal in such a global health situation.

Post Reply