Re: ERC Starting grant 2024

Post by ericrev » Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:03 pm

CGN wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:04 am
ericrev wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:03 am
PE11
Funded, was in ranking.
Many congratulations! What was your experience in the interview? Did you feel positive?
It was very different from my colleague's experience from last year. He is also PE11

This year is 100% scientific questions no any management questions.

And I got 10 in total, I failed to answer 2 of them since I feel they are out of my field, I honestly admitted I didn't know. Other questions are fine. One of them being equation derivation of my theory. I think I answered all these question in persuasive way.

Joshuasnell

Post by Joshuasnell » Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:27 pm

I got funded!

SH4, had a ranking status

So we learned something after all..

Wishing all the rejected candidates success in the upcoming round. Never give up!

Yolcu

Post by Yolcu » Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:28 pm

I just received the email. I received the funding, PE8, and I was Ranking
Wish all you the bests

cat_lover

Post by cat_lover » Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:50 pm

PE10, initial EVALUATION and a B here. I found the reports quite useful and I agree with a lot of them though. So good materials for improvements.

asglani

Post by asglani » Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:12 pm

so guys, it is perhaps too early, but I would like to ask you some advice... I got a rejection with an A score (no reserve list) and unfortunately this is the last year that I could try the starting grant.
Would you advice trying the consolidator straightaway? Note that I have neither a tenured position nor personal grants, and for this reason I'm not sure I would be competitive enough. Although I have some good articles as a last name proofing my scientific independence (and now I know exactly the weak points of my proposal and how to improve it).

P.S. I am happy that at the very least I gave my contribution in solving the ranking/evaluation phase problem haha

cat_lover

Post by cat_lover » Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:27 pm

Hi, I would suggest you to apply straightaway. I had a case with one of my advisor who tried many times but no StG. He was almost giving up - but got encouraged by an ERC-StG recipient and decided to continue try. And he got consolidator right away. The slightly different thing was at that time he just got a position. And his profile now actually looks cooler than his peers who mostly got StG. My take on this is that for some, it simply takes a bit more time.

Nevertheless, I think applying for funding always has some luck component in it and the best solution would be never miss a chance to try. You already got a good proposal and someone shared the statistics that an unfunded A has a higher chance in getting funnded in the next try (even when shifting to consolidator) in the next year.

I'm still a fresh post-doc and may not give the best advise. Though, I still want to share my experience (by observing others). Cheers!
asglani wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:12 pm
so guys, it is perhaps too early, but I would like to ask you some advice... I got a rejection with an A score (no reserve list) and unfortunately this is the last year that I could try the starting grant.
Would you advice trying the consolidator straightaway? Note that I have neither a tenured position nor personal grants, and for this reason I'm not sure I would be competitive enough. Although I have some good articles as a last name proofing my scientific independence (and now I know exactly the weak points of my proposal and how to improve it).

P.S. I am happy that at the very least I gave my contribution in solving the ranking/evaluation phase problem haha

Toktok

Post by Toktok » Mon Jul 15, 2024 4:43 pm

kittykot wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:39 am
GeTi87 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:37 am
PE3 here. I was Ranking and got an A but was not funded (only 28% were funded in PE3). Is there a significant chance of getting funded if you are on the reserve list?
I don't want to be overly optimistic, but I think this year there will be. Because the first 30% is what they had assigned with the previous budget. But there's been an increase of <100 million. So I'd be cautiously optimistic ;)
I think the increased budget will be used for Advanced Grants only. Source: https://erc.europa.eu/news-events/news/ ... n-erc-2024

ericrev

Post by ericrev » Mon Jul 15, 2024 4:49 pm

Toktok wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2024 4:43 pm
kittykot wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:39 am
GeTi87 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:37 am
PE3 here. I was Ranking and got an A but was not funded (only 28% were funded in PE3). Is there a significant chance of getting funded if you are on the reserve list?
I don't want to be overly optimistic, but I think this year there will be. Because the first 30% is what they had assigned with the previous budget. But there's been an increase of <100 million. So I'd be cautiously optimistic ;)
I think the increased budget will be used for Advanced Grants only. Source: https://erc.europa.eu/news-events/news/ ... n-erc-2024
PE11 is somehow different.

152 proposals submitted at stage 1. only 28% went into stage 2 (i know this from a colleague who got rejected at this stage)
and my report said top 40% of step 2 are funded.

GeTi87

Post by GeTi87 » Mon Jul 15, 2024 7:16 pm

I just got another email. Very cryptic but I think my proposal is granted. I was initially on the reserve list. Now there is a new tab in the ERC website with the project and things to fill. Cant believe this what a rollercoaster.

Toktok

Post by Toktok » Mon Jul 15, 2024 8:45 pm

I also got a very strange thing on the system. I got a new letter saying I’m on the reserve list (this morning I just got the reviews). But then the system sent me documents for grant agreement and declaration of honour. But no letter saying this means I got funded.