2023 Reserve list (HE-MSCA-PF-2023)

Hanami

Re: 2023 Reserve list (HE-MSCA-PF-2023)

Post by Hanami » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:32 pm

Any estimation for the announcement date for the reserve list? Last year was early June, wasn't it?

gincidentallyinquiry

Post by gincidentallyinquiry » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:48 pm

Hanami wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:32 pm
Any estimation for the announcement date for the reserve list? Last year was early June, wasn't it?
I believe this depends on the deadline to sign the GAP, but I am not sure if this has been set yet.

glycoglyco

Post by glycoglyco » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:30 pm

Hi all. I bring a bit of official information after contacting the MSCA PF Helpdesk. I basically asked them how are the UK proposals going to be treated and how will it impact the reserve lists. Their response:

"We confirm that proposals with UK hosts submitted to call HORIZON-MSCA-2023-PF-01 are not covered by the association of the UK to Horizon Europe. Therefore, in line with the call for proposals HORIZON-MSCA-2023-PF-01, those proposals (main and reserve lists) do not meet the eligibility conditions and need to be rejected.

The remaining EU budget will indeed be allocated to reserve list proposals, proportionally to the number of proposals received per panel. The number of proposals funded from the reserve list depends on the available budget, taking into account the country coefficient of the beneficiary country of each application. Note that In order to ensure budget optimisation and an equitable success rate across panels, the excess budget remaining after the initial allocation of funding to the proposals in the panels may be transferred between panels.
"

So from this, I think we can agree that it isn't exactly going to be "1 UK proposals leaves from X panel = 1 proposal is called from the X reserve list". In june (whenever after the deadline for GAP and signature), they will gather all the ramainings of the budget from all panels, and will redistribute it proportionally to the size of each panel (I assume the new size after removing all UK proposals from main and rederve lists). Then, they will call proposals from reserve also taking into account the country coefficients and the length of projects affecting budget requested (which I guess will affect mostly the last proposal to be called from a reserve list).

I don't think we will have more information than this until June, so let's breath and hope!

RE1355

Post by RE1355 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:01 pm

It seems that the EU (REA) is going to remove the UK-host proposals from the reserve list (same as 2021 & 2022 practice). we (UK-based proposals on the reserve list) should be in one place and thinking and acting about the problem. Please join and share this group for better communication. https://chat.whatsapp.com/CxVnVYHw3ZIDoSsb9TYJXp

emmi

Post by emmi » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:59 am

glycoglyco wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:30 pm
Hi all. I bring a bit of official information after contacting the MSCA PF Helpdesk. I basically asked them how are the UK proposals going to be treated and how will it impact the reserve lists. Their response:

"We confirm that proposals with UK hosts submitted to call HORIZON-MSCA-2023-PF-01 are not covered by the association of the UK to Horizon Europe. Therefore, in line with the call for proposals HORIZON-MSCA-2023-PF-01, those proposals (main and reserve lists) do not meet the eligibility conditions and need to be rejected.

The remaining EU budget will indeed be allocated to reserve list proposals, proportionally to the number of proposals received per panel. The number of proposals funded from the reserve list depends on the available budget, taking into account the country coefficient of the beneficiary country of each application. Note that In order to ensure budget optimisation and an equitable success rate across panels, the excess budget remaining after the initial allocation of funding to the proposals in the panels may be transferred between panels.
"

So from this, I think we can agree that it isn't exactly going to be "1 UK proposals leaves from X panel = 1 proposal is called from the X reserve list". In june (whenever after the deadline for GAP and signature), they will gather all the ramainings of the budget from all panels, and will redistribute it proportionally to the size of each panel (I assume the new size after removing all UK proposals from main and rederve lists). Then, they will call proposals from reserve also taking into account the country coefficients and the length of projects affecting budget requested (which I guess will affect mostly the last proposal to be called from a reserve list).

I don't think we will have more information than this until June, so let's breath and hope!
This was pretty informative post. Thank you for sharing and letting us know. As you said that I think there is nothing to expect until June.

ella_

Post by ella_ » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:16 am

glycoglyco wrote:

"

This is very informative! The country coefficient of UK is quite high right? so that would mean that potentially a larger proportion of projects could be funded across the panels. However, another point of info that would be quite nice to have would be how many UK proposals there were in each panel in total.

gincidentallyinquiry

Post by gincidentallyinquiry » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:50 am

glycoglyco wrote:

"

Thank you very much for sharing the information. It's incredibly helpful. However, I must admit, my anxiety levels are skyrocketing until June...

glycoglyco

Post by glycoglyco » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:40 am

ella_ wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:16 am
glycoglyco wrote:

"

This is very informative! The country coefficient of UK is quite high right? so that would mean that potentially a larger proportion of projects could be funded across the panels. However, another point of info that would be quite nice to have would be how many UK proposals there were in each panel in total.
Indeed, the UK has a country coef of 1.369, higher than all (I think) the EU members. However there are many factors to into account: length of the UK proposals leaving (I assume most people go for a 2-year project?), length of reserve list projects being called, new country coefficient...

I also asked in my email about the reserve list, amount of UK in the lists and why the lists are being kept secret. They said that indeed reserve lists and further info about UK proposals is not to be disclosed.

So now... let's go back to work and (try to) forget about this for 4 months!

roberto_b

Post by roberto_b » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:12 pm

Here are the numbers of UK proposals on the ML of the various panels:

EF-CHE 40
EF-ECO 1
EF-ENG 47
EF-ENV 31
EF-LIF 53
EF-MAT 6
EF-PHY 23
EF-SOC 36

On average, each funded project (1110 in total as of 13th Feb 2024 in EF) receives about 199 K
so the budget saved from not funding UK projects should be around 47 M.

Assuming that, on average, the country coeff is around 1.0 for all the submitted projects, there should be
around 300 reserve projects funded in total.

emmi

Post by emmi » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:24 pm

roberto_b wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:12 pm
Here are the numbers of UK proposals on the ML of the various panels:

EF-CHE 40
EF-ECO 1
EF-ENG 47
EF-ENV 31
EF-LIF 53
EF-MAT 6
EF-PHY 23
EF-SOC 36

On average, each funded project (1110 in total as of 13th Feb 2024 in EF) receives about 199 K
so the budget saved from not funding UK projects should be around 47 M.

Assuming that, on average, the country coeff is around 1.0 for all the submitted projects, there should be
around 300 reserve projects funded in total.
This is a good approximation. Then, according to this calculation, around 35-40 reserve projects can be funded each panel.

But, I think this ratio would be apply proportional within each panel. So LIF, ENG, CHE would get more funds.