MSCA-IF awardees in 2018 and academics networking

CountZ
Site Admin

MSCA-IF awardees in 2018 and academics networking

Post by CountZ » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:20 pm

To all those of us here who were successful in Marie-Curie, congratulations!

Here's a thread to discuss the next steps - grant agreements, moving to a new country, settling in, and getting started on your projects! Congratulations again and best of luck on your new adventure!

fun4sci

Re: MSCA Successful applications - next steps!

Post by fun4sci » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:18 am

Hi, when do you expect to start the grant (to join the host)? I'd like to join asap and I remember that we should wait around 2 months because of the grant agreement preparation and so on, is that true?

2mc2018

Post by 2mc2018 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:35 am

fun4sci wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:18 am
Hi, when do you expect to start the grant (to join the host)? I'd like to join asap and I remember that we should wait around 2 months because of the grant agreement preparation and so on, is that true?
You can check with your host. As I know the earliest time is 1st April, but I prefer having a break for several months at first :)

aberfeldy

Post by aberfeldy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:03 pm

Hey! Our grant office said that they should be ready for the 1st of July. I think they organise everything and we do not need to do much about it....

EF-ENG_UK

Post by EF-ENG_UK » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:28 pm

Hi everybody!
Do someone in the forum has experience in moving to UK?

I'll move to UK for a MSCA with family and I'm looking for tips from people with some experience: organizing the move, carry own car (left-hand drive) or buy or rent another one in UK, renting an apartment, etc. ....

Taxation is another issue, I've been told from guy in the university office that my net income would around £ 4000 per month, that looks so much..., someone has some experience?

Thanks

flynix

Post by flynix » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:24 pm

Open a bank account in the Cayman islands ;)

I would suggest renting a short-term rental to get an idea of which areas you want to live in, and ask around locally to see if there are any apartments up for grabs (maybe a postdoc or visiting professor is leaving).

Then when you get to the university, one of the first things (from my experience) would be to open a local bank account and get a credit/debit card. If you have a EU drivers license I think you can drive in the UK with it for 3 years (which should cover your MSCA fellowship period).

phy_2017

Post by phy_2017 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:40 am

Hi everybody! Just to let you know that it is really beneficial to contact your Project Officer. I wrote to my PO two days ago (with some questions) and it turned out that I haven't received his message with a document providing guidelines for GAP, probably due to some IT issue. I had to send him several confirmation messages regarding my family status and so on.
Good luck with your GAP!

Chem-IF

Post by Chem-IF » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:27 pm

Do anyone going to Germany with MSCA fellowship? I contacted the HR from my host institute about the taxation and they told me everything from my fellowship will be taxed. Moreover, they will also not pay their contribution of social security (which is 1200 euros, usually they pay it for German grants). This means my net salary will be really low (5700-1200 = 4600 - 42% taxes = 2600 - 740 for health insurance = 1860 euros Net salary), which is worst than my current postdoc salary.
Do anyone else have some ideas about MSCA salary in Germany? As I am the first candidate with MSCA fellowship joining this Institute they might missing something!

bla

Post by bla » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:54 am

For some taxation questions you can read this post
http://hertourage.com/?p=4106
It's for UK MSCA fellows, but some of it can be used for other countries.
All the best to all MSCA fellows :)

sci'stache

Post by sci'stache » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:12 am

Does anybody know how much you are allowed to teach? Can you hold a teaching position (12 h per week) at the host while holding an MSCA?