Preparation Tips for Prospective Applicants

chaturanga

Preparation Tips for Prospective Applicants

Post by chaturanga » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:18 pm

I would like to start a new topic here under which important aspects about preparation process are going to be discussed. Please feel free to get involved. We, prospective applicants, need valuable input from experienced ones.

As a starter, I thought reaching to previously submitted successful/unsuccessful proposals would be a great guide for us. Given that we already have broad guidelines from official sources, it will be very important to see how they were put into practice by looking at existing proposals. I understand sharing might cause some sort of confidentiality issues, but there should be a smoother way to pass the experience...

Other key points which will lead to a successful application....

aberfeldy

Re: Preparation Tips for Prospective Applicants

Post by aberfeldy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:01 pm

chaturanga wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:18 pm
I would like to start a new topic here under which important aspects about preparation process are going to be discussed. Please feel free to get involved. We, prospective applicants, need valuable input from experienced ones.

As a starter, I thought reaching to previously submitted successful/unsuccessful proposals would be a great guide for us. Given that we already have broad guidelines from official sources, it will be very important to see how they were put into practice by looking at existing proposals. I understand sharing might cause some sort of confidentiality issues, but there should be a smoother way to pass the experience...

They told me from my grant office that they will set everything up...I do not think I need to do something...they told me it would be ready for 1st of June. How about you?

chaturanga

Post by chaturanga » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:10 pm

aberfeldy wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:01 pm
They told me from my grant office that they will set everything up...I do not think I need to do something...they told me it would be ready for 1st of June. How about you?
I guess you are talking about formatting your completed proposal. But I am at the beginning of shaping the project idea...

aberfeldy

Post by aberfeldy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:49 pm

chaturanga wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:10 pm
aberfeldy wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:01 pm
I guess you are talking about formatting your completed proposal. But I am at the beginning of shaping the project idea...
Ahhh sorry! Mistake! I have just got mine yesterday! I am happy to give you some tips if you like. My email address is sofmak@msn.com. :)

dsmg

Post by dsmg » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:56 am

chaturanga wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:18 pm

Dear ChatuRanga,
Indeed it is a very useful platform. Could you please let me know what are the next steps we should be doing?

chaturanga

Post by chaturanga » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:23 pm

dsmg wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:56 am
Dear ChatuRanga,
Indeed it is a very useful platform. Could you please let me know what are the next steps we should be doing?
As a first step, I think we should start gathering submitted proposals with their owners' permission. I found a couple online open to public. I will find a way to share them here without breaching any copyright etc.

Second, I will try to recruit more experienced people to this topic since they are the key here.

Third, we should also focus on surfacing the unwritten rules/tips of successful submission. For example, topic selection is very important to evaluation committee (I get this from other websites). It has to be too sexy/trendy etc.
Please give suggestions about how to effective to utilize this network here...

danGFSOC

Post by danGFSOC » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:06 pm

Hello. I am starting thinking about my future resubmission. I got 88,6 and apparently the cut-off in the GF SOC panel was 92,5 or something like that, so I guess it is worthy another and last try. Although my university in the EU was evaluated as of high quality in the report, I was wondering, for personal/professional reasons, to move my project to another (high-quality) beneficiary in the EU. Obviously this means that my project would result as a new submission and not a resubmission. Do you think this can negatively affect the chance to get it?

CountZ
Site Admin

Post by CountZ » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:47 pm

The outcomes of the process are so random, it's hard to tell. Lot of people get close to the cut-off one year only to find out that an improved proposal suffers a much weaker evaluation in the next call (even as an official resubmission).

So I wouldn't worry about losing the "resubmission" mention on the consensus report, personally.

danGFSOC

Post by danGFSOC » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:48 pm

CountZ wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:47 pm
The outcomes of the process are so random, it's hard to tell. Lot of people get close to the cut-off one year only to find out that an improved proposal suffers a much weaker evaluation in the next call (even as an official resubmission).

So I wouldn't worry about losing the "resubmission" mention on the consensus report, personally.
Thanks, CountZ. Yes, you are right. I read on this forum that some people got it after changing beneficiary (so officially submitting a new proposal). My indecision is if a good proposal is read more "benevolently" if it is a resubmission or it does not matter. Statistically resubmissions have a higher success rate but don't know if it is because evaluators are more keen to "push" resubmissions towards the funding area or because resubmissions are generally stronger for obvious reasons.

By the way, do you know where to find this year cut-off scores? I mean the exact figure. The percentile table on the EC website is a little bit vague.

Thanks!

danGFSOC

Post by danGFSOC » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:34 am