2017 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2017)

rsr

Re: Marie Curie Individual Fellowship Forum

Post by rsr » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:34 pm

LazyAnna wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:32 pm
rsr wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:26 pm
Is it weird that I prefer to read about wrong assumptions over the links rather than hearing about the greatness of one's supervisor??
Hahaha, nope. PS. Also, my supervisor is SO much cooler than yours :lol: :lol: :lol: PPS. Sorry, this was too good to let it slide.
Impossible!!!! Hahahaha

We should create a supervisor coolness and greatness measurement system... We are all biased here!!!! :D :D :D It wouldn't get funded by MSCA, but still...

ANGF

Post by ANGF » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:37 pm

LazyAnna wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:32 pm
rsr wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:26 pm
Is it weird that I prefer to read about wrong assumptions over the links rather than hearing about the greatness of one's supervisor??
Hahaha, nope. PS. Also, my supervisor is SO much cooler than yours :lol: :lol: :lol: PPS. Sorry, this was too good to let it slide.
Well I wrote my proposal in 10 minutes!! And I'm sure it has 90%+

I didn't mean to brag about anything (I didn't get it last year anyway so nothing to brag about), I just wanted to point out that the surface stuff like who your supervisor is doesn't matter very much, there's lots of other things that are important.

IF_IAMYOURS

Post by IF_IAMYOURS » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:41 pm

ANGF wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:34 pm
LazyAnna wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:09 pm
Yeap, she said they now expect them next Monday :) It looks like it's going to be next Monday, or even the Monday after that.
Oh no now I am going to keep having anxiety dreams about this every Sunday!

Also for IF_IAMYOURS. I know what it's like to think you're a shoe-in because of your world-leading supervisor, novel idea, host institution being a perfect match etc. but I fell down on small things. For example, my outreach plan was considered too basic. I only got 6 weaknesses but I also did not have enough strengths. My supervisor was just one strength, the originality of the idea was just one, the novel method just one, and so on.

I sincerely hope your optimism is justified and that you get it but I just don't want anyone to feel surprised or upset like I did. There is a lot of luck involved too!
If you see my previous comments I mentioned I may get rejection. What i am saying considering that people in Evaluation are below 70 is not correct. My proposal may fail to get funds but its impossible to be below 70.

And for those who surprise how i wrote in 5 days, I can't give explanations but yes I did, and my supervisor reviewed it. I already co-authored few articles with him, therefor, it was not an issue.
Last edited by IF_IAMYOURS on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rsr

Post by rsr » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:48 pm

Several people have great supervisors here or wrote their great proposal in a short period of time... But in a forum with many anxious researchers, I don't agree with bragging about such things... Let's just respect each other and try to go through this phase together instead of trying to show off.

Note: To be clear, I am not talking about IF_IAMYOURS's post

IF_IAMYOURS

Post by IF_IAMYOURS » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:51 pm

LazyAnna wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:06 pm
aberfeldy wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:31 pm
IF_IAMYOURS wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:35 pm

Thanks! what I learn during 23 years of student life ->attitude matters a lot :D
I wish I could quote this and the last comment you made here. You wrote your proposal in 5 days and your supervisor is such a BOSS? Interesting....in 5 days and you are sure you got over 70...I think you kind of taking the piss a wee bit?
What's wrong with writing your proposal in 5 days?! Ok, I admit the tone of the post you quote is a bit over the top, but still...

I wrote mine in 7, because I had some personal circumstances which did not allow me to spend more time on it. I am also pretty sure I have a very decent proposal, definitely more than 70. It depends on how efficient you are at writing proposals. I will totally report my score back to this forum once I hear it.

Also, just curious about how much time you spent on yours. I hear it's usually something closer to 1 month or so.
@LazyAnna this guy aberfeldy looks like a troll. Writing a proposal is not an issue if you are a well aware researcher and knows the trends and upcoming challenges.

IF_IAMYOURS

Post by IF_IAMYOURS » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:56 pm

FuriousAcademic wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:36 pm
aberfeldy wrote:
IF_IAMYOURS wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:35 pm

Thanks! what I learn during 23 years of student life ->attitude matters a lot :D
I wish I could quote this and the last comment you made here. You wrote your proposal in 5 days and your supervisor is such a BOSS? Interesting....in 5 days and you are sure you got over 70...I think you kind of taking the piss a wee bit?
And he/she has been a student for 23 years :lol:
Did you take 5 different degrees? Or you struggle to write properly? If it is the latter I can imagine how your proposal looks like after 5 days (and how much time your supervisor spent going through it)
16+2+5..If you have brain you will understand :lol:

ANGF

Post by ANGF » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:11 pm

rsr wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:48 pm
Several people have great supervisors here or wrote their great proposal in a short period of time... But in a forum with many anxious researchers, I don't agree with bragging about such things... Let's just respect each other and try to go through this phase together instead of trying to show off.

I am very sorry. I just wanted to share my experience and thought it might be helpful but I see I said the wrong kind of things.
Let me say it in a better way - everyone should have confidence in themselves and their proposal. The little things are not as important as the whole they add up to, so do not worry if you think someone else has a 'better' supervisor, or is going to a famous university etc. But also do not be too shaken by your reviews if you do not get it - they will be useful for reapplying and sometimes you are just unlucky.

aberfeldy

Post by aberfeldy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:45 pm

IF_IAMYOURS wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:51 pm
LazyAnna wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:06 pm
aberfeldy wrote:

What's wrong with writing your proposal in 5 days?! Ok, I admit the tone of the post you quote is a bit over the top, but still...

I wrote mine in 7, because I had some personal circumstances which did not allow me to spend more time on it. I am also pretty sure I have a very decent proposal, definitely more than 70. It depends on how efficient you are at writing proposals. I will totally report my score back to this forum once I hear it.

Also, just curious about how much time you spent on yours. I hear it's usually something closer to 1 month or so.
@LazyAnna this guy aberfeldy looks like a troll. Writing a proposal is not an issue if you are a well aware researcher and knows the trends and upcoming challenges.
It was an issue for me as it was my first fellowship application :) I put 2 months into it and a lot of effort. It is my first postdoc after PhD so I do not have much exprerience. Since then I have written 2 project grants and a couple more fellowships, so yeah you are right, perhaps now it is much easier to write since I should in theory be a 'well aware researcher' whatever that means :P

FuriousAcademic

Post by FuriousAcademic » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:51 pm

IF_IAMYOURS wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:56 pm
FuriousAcademic wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:36 pm
aberfeldy wrote:

And he/she has been a student for 23 years :lol:
Did you take 5 different degrees? Or you struggle to write properly? If it is the latter I can imagine how your proposal looks like after 5 days (and how much time your supervisor spent going through it)
16+2+5..If you have brain you will understand :lol:
I still don't get it (16 years of education prior to University? 5 years of PhD?) but it's not important. What I am very interested in is the ranking of research groups that you mention. Can you provide with more information or is a ranking inside your head?

danGFSOC

Post by danGFSOC » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:59 pm

ANGF wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:11 pm
rsr wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:48 pm

I am very sorry. I just wanted to share my experience and thought it might be helpful but I see I said the wrong kind of things.
Let me say it in a better way - everyone should have confidence in themselves and their proposal. The little things are not as important as the whole they add up to, so do not worry if you think someone else has a 'better' supervisor, or is going to a famous university etc. But also do not be too shaken by your reviews if you do not get it - they will be useful for reapplying and sometimes you are just unlucky.
Unfortunately I had some experience about projects that I thought were unstoppable and unbeatable and actually I did not get what I wanted. For getting it, a good (even outstanding) supervisor is necessary but not sufficient. Innovative and good ideas are necessary but not sufficient. In the past I focussed very much on research ideas and on supervisors but actually you need a proposal that addresses each point: training, dissemination, communication, benefit for academic communities, societies and, if possible, policymakers. And I think one needs at least a month to imagine how to put everything together. It is even better to work on it two months and have some reader (possibly outside your field) that can give a fresh perspective on what you write helping for revision and re-revision before submitting. Having read some successful proposal, I think that to be crystal-clear, simple (but accurate) and easy to be read is the key for a successful application. And eventually, yes, luck, luck, luck.