2017 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2017)

CountZ
Site Admin

Re: Marie Curie Individual Fellowship Forum

Post by CountZ » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:31 pm

InfoCom wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:20 pm
Just quickly went through few pages of this discussion. Surprise to see so many speculations about 2 mysterious links :D
By the way anyone here who is a faculty member, at Assistant Professor or higher position, and still applying for this fellowship program? Actually I am a bit confuse, I got employment letter for AP position 2 days ago and I need to sign contract documents by 31st January. If I sign the contract documents, than most probably even if i win the MSCA fellowship I will not be able to join the program. The university is not bad it ranked among top 350 university in QS 2017 ranking. In case if I win MSCA fellowship what should I chose? My host institute is ETH and supervisor is also well reputed. I am confuse between Job vs Quality research environment.
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the AP!
MSCA-IF has to be your full time job. Your best bet would be to negotiate with your university to start later (e.g. in a couple of years), although I can imagine that's hard to do. If you think they won't bite then you'd have to make a decision that depends highly on your personal situation and academic field... so it would be hard to advise you. But really there isn't much point in torturing yourself about a potential decision that you don't yet have to make! And either way, whether you get MSCA or not, the outcome would be good for you.

laprofesora

Post by laprofesora » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:41 pm

fun4sci wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:17 pm
PS: my panel is society and enterprise.
SOC? Same here....

laprofesora

Post by laprofesora » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:42 pm

InfoCom wrote:
Just quickly went through few pages of this discussion. Surprise to see so many speculations about 2 mysterious links :D
By the way anyone here who is a faculty member, at Assistant Professor or higher position, and still applying for this fellowship program? Actually I am a bit confuse, I got employment letter for AP position 2 days ago and I need to sign contract documents by 31st January. If I sign the contract documents, than most probably even if i win the MSCA fellowship I will not be able to join the program. The university is not bad it ranked among top 350 university in QS 2017 ranking. In case if I win MSCA fellowship what should I chose? My host institute is ETH and supervisor is also well reputed. I am confuse between Job vs Quality research environment.
If you could delay start of MSCA as much as you could and if you could get intercalation from your job, why not both?

Academics_Anonymous

Post by Academics_Anonymous » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:48 pm

fun4sci wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:12 pm
Hi everyone
I'm still on phase:EVALUATION at both links
https://ec.europa.eu/research/participa ... t/project/******
https://ec.europa.eu/research/participa ... teproject/******
I think the resuls will be soon but not inminent for today. Be patient!
Regads
The waiting is killing me...

BTW, I applied IF_ST for the first time and I've got "Ranking" phase since I first saw the link here. I guess that would be sometime around 12th of January. My panel is ENV.

Anyone has an educated guess what "startGAT" might be?

Good luck everyone!

InfoCom

Post by InfoCom » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:02 pm

laprofesora wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:42 pm
InfoCom wrote:
If you could delay start of MSCA as much as you could and if you could get intercalation from your job, why not both?
Yes that can be one of the option. Do you have any idea how much delay is possible?

CountZ
Site Admin

Post by CountZ » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:07 pm

One year.

InfoCom

Post by InfoCom » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:15 pm

CountZ wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:31 pm
InfoCom wrote:
MSCA-IF has to be your full time job. Your best bet would be to negotiate with your university to start later (e.g. in a couple of years), although I can imagine that's hard to do. If you think they won't bite then you'd have to make a decision that depends highly on your personal situation and academic field... so it would be hard to advise you. But really there isn't much point in torturing yourself about a potential decision that you don't yet have to make! And either way, whether you get MSCA or not, the outcome would be good for you.
According to university's rules and regulations I can get study leave after one year of service. As I said if I sign the contract it will not be possible to join MSCA. So, it’s a kind if decision I need to make ...I will be abandoning MSCA before knowing the result.
PS: My academic field is CS and more specifically Information and Communication Networks

IF_IAMYOURS

Post by IF_IAMYOURS » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:20 pm

InfoCom wrote:
Can you get better job after postdoc? if your answer is yes than opt the MSCA option otherwise go for AP. Frankly speaking if I was in your place I would join AP without second thought.

chessplayer

Post by chessplayer » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:22 pm

InfoCom wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:15 pm
CountZ wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:31 pm
InfoCom wrote:
According to university's rules and regulations I can get study leave after one year of service. As I said if I sign the contract it will not be possible to join MSCA. So, it’s a kind if decision I need to make ...I will be abandoning MSCA before knowing the result.
PS: My academic field is CS and more specifically Information and Communication Networks
Most likely you will know the outcome of your MSCA proposal by 1/31...

blablaMSCA

Post by blablaMSCA » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:37 pm

indeed you are likely to have the results by the end of the month. Also, unfortunately (or fortunately) this is part of the game, they take 5+ months to get back to you with a result and you cannot possibly put your life on hold for so long. My boss often looks at me and says "have you got the Marie Curie yet?" and I of course say "no" and the answer is always "then you keep going with your life"