2017 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2017)

ANGF

Re: Marie Curie Individual Fellowship Forum

Post by ANGF » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:07 pm

danGFSOC wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:59 pm
Unfortunately I had some experience about project that I thought were unstoppable and unbeatable and actually I did not get what I wanted. For getting it a good (even outstanding) supervisor is necessary but not sufficient. Innovative and good ideas are necessary but not sufficient. In the past I focussed very much on research ideas and on supervisors but actually you need a proposal that addresses each point: training, dissemination, communication, benefit for academic communities, societies and, if possible, policymakers. And I think one needs at least a month to imagine how to put everything together. It is even better to work on it two months and have some reader (possibly outside your field) that can give a fresh perspective on what you write helping for revision and re-revision before submitting. Reading successful proposals, I think that to be crystal-clear, simple (but accurate) and easy to be read is the key for a successful application. And eventually, yes, luck, luck, luck.
Yes I agree 100% about what makes a successful proposal. Simple, accurate and concise. At least with ten pages only you have to be concise! I also read that it is important to be excited about your work and have that come across in your proposal. I think it is a real talent to be able to discuss your work in a passionate way, but still be objective and not overstate what your project can do. I don't have this talent but I am trying to learn.

Amar

Post by Amar » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:08 pm

ST-LIF wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:15 pm
LazyAnna wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:06 pm

Also, just curious about how much time you spent on yours. I hear it's usually something closer to 1 month or so.
I spent about two weeks on mine (not writing full time, but close enough) and then another two weeks to have others read it plus our institution has a whole bureaucracy you have to go through with each application.
I did it in month and half with very strict timelines from my future (i hope) host organization which is not in my country. I thought about every word, every sentence or its purpose. I wish you all good luck. For us, ST-LIF, it will be difficult task due to the number of proposals in our field - based on last year around 1,800.

ST-LIF

Post by ST-LIF » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:36 pm

Amar wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:08 pm
ST-LIF wrote:
LazyAnna wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:06 pm

Also, just curious about how much time you spent on yours. I hear it's usually something closer to 1 month or so.
I spent about two weeks on mine (not writing full time, but close enough) and then another two weeks to have others read it plus our institution has a whole bureaucracy you have to go through with each application.
I did it in month and half with very strict timelines from my future (i hope) host organization which is not in my country. I thought about every word, every sentence or its purpose. I wish you all good luck. For us, ST-LIF, it will be difficult task due to the number of proposals in our field - based on last year around 1,800.
True! But don't loose hope now. We have more applications but they funded more as well...so the % was not that different. It is my first and only chance at MC, so I tried to make the most of it. But I'm sure the majority of candidates really put in an effort.

laprofesora

Post by laprofesora » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:45 pm

danGFSOC wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:59 pm
Unfortunately I had some experience about project that I thought were unstoppable and unbeatable and actually I did not get what I wanted. For getting it a good (even outstanding) supervisor is necessary but not sufficient. Innovative and good ideas are necessary but not sufficient. In the past I focussed very much on research ideas and on supervisors but actually you need a proposal that addresses each point: training, dissemination, communication, benefit for academic communities, societies and, if possible, policymakers. And I think one needs at least a month to imagine how to put everything together. It is even better to work on it two months and have some reader (possibly outside your field) that can give a fresh perspective on what you write helping for revision and re-revision before submitting. Reading successful proposals, I think that to be crystal-clear, simple (but accurate) and easy to be read is the key for a successful application. And eventually, yes, luck, luck, luck.
I could not have said it any better! :!: :geek:

I had major family issues in 2017 and I worked on my proposal non-stop from mid-August to submission... and I wish I had had more time. And I also wish I had had some time 'off' the proposal to come back to it with fresher eyes. Well, I just hope luck is on my side... :roll:

aberfeldy

Post by aberfeldy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:48 pm

Participant Portal Grant Management Services may be experiencing issues with Legal Entity and Bank Account validations on Monday, 22.01.2018, from 20:00 until 21:30 (CET).

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

ATBGF2017

Post by ATBGF2017 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:49 pm

That is the thing about MC fellowships. There are so many good applications that you can never be confident about your application. I applied to the GF-SOC panel which closed at 95 points last year. It is the most competitive panel and only the best of the best will get it. Good luck to us all!
ST-LIF wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:36 pm
Amar wrote:
ST-LIF wrote:

True! But don't loose hope now. We have more applications but they funded more as well...so the % was not that different. It is my first and only chance at MC, so I tried to make the most of it. But I'm sure the majority of candidates really put in an effort.

Amar

Post by Amar » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:02 pm

aberfeldy wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:48 pm
Participant Portal Grant Management Services may be experiencing issues with Legal Entity and Bank Account validations on Monday, 22.01.2018, from 20:00 until 21:30 (CET).

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
I don't understand it. This is the second time - have no message in the portal. How it csn be?

IF_IAMYOURS

Post by IF_IAMYOURS » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:09 pm

FuriousAcademic wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:51 pm
IF_IAMYOURS wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:56 pm
FuriousAcademic wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:36 pm

And he/she has been a student for 23 years :lol:
Did you take 5 different degrees? Or you struggle to write properly? If it is the latter I can imagine how your proposal looks like after 5 days (and how much time your supervisor spent going through it)
16+2+5..If you have brain you will understand :lol:
I still don't get it (16 years of education prior to University? 5 years of PhD?) but it's not important. What I am very interested in is the ranking of research groups that you mention. Can you provide with more information or is a ranking inside your head?
So you are saying education prior to university is not education? Thats the reason it takes time for some people to understand how one can write a research proposal in few days :lol:
Well one of the ranking system is here for you https://www.timeshighereducation.com/ne ... 90.article

danGFSOC

Post by danGFSOC » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:13 pm

ATBGF2017 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:49 pm
That is the thing about MC fellowships. There are so many good applications that you can never be confident about your application. I applied to the GF-SOC panel which closed at 95 points last year. It is the most competitive panel and only the best of the best will get it. Good luck to us all!
ST-LIF wrote:
Amar wrote:

Although I guess that the GF and GF SOC this year will have a success rate that is significantly higher than previous years and other panels and actions this year

Amar

Post by Amar » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:15 pm

danGFSOC wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:13 pm
ATBGF2017 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:49 pm
ST-LIF wrote:

Although I guess that the GF and GF SOC this year will have a success rate that is significantly higher than previous years and other panels and actions this year
Why do you think so?