gincidentallyinquiry

Re: 2023 Reserve list (HE-MSCA-PF-2023)

Post by gincidentallyinquiry » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:35 pm

emmi wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:25 pm
gincidentallyinquiry wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:38 am
Hi all,

Just to let you all know, the projects are already starting. You can find them here: [https://ec.europa.eu/info/funding-tende ... 3-pf-01-01](https://ec.europa.eu/info/funding-tende ... ePageState)

Hope this can give us an indication of the time frame the REA is operating in.
Thank you for letting us know.

As I can see, just one project is in the list.

My question is the projects,will be listed in there, mean they already started or all grant agreements done and waiting for starting?
It shows projects with GA signed I believe.

gincidentallyinquiry

Post by gincidentallyinquiry » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:21 pm

Hello! Just wanted to let you know that I've just received a rejection letter (RL) for the 2022 call LOL. So, it seems we might have to wait more than a year to hear anything.

gincidentallyinquiry

Post by gincidentallyinquiry » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:44 pm

On another note, my host has just sent me an email informing me of my position on the RL list, which I already knew (26, SOC). The Spanish NCP mentioned we will start hearing from them in 3-4 months.
The new piece of information is that the Spanish NCP mentioned I have slim chances of getting it, according to my host. I won't follow up on that because I don't want to obsess over it, but I thought it was worth sharing so we can continue to collect and document the (scarce) information.

ella_

Post by ella_ » Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:06 pm

Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:21 pm
Hello! Just wanted to let you know that I've just received a rejection letter (RL) for the 2022 call LOL. So, it seems we might have to wait more than a year to hear anything.
WOW! what was your rank in the reserve list, did you know? how far were you off from the cut-off? Let's hope your host (their admin who communicates with the NCP) isn't aware of the UK proposal situation. In any other situation the RL proposals would not stand much of a chance except the first 5 or so. On the other hand, UK was a big financial contributor to MSCA, so next year will probably be seeing less crazy cut-off scores, and this years cut off scores will in reality be a bit lower by inviting RL proposals, like in previous years.

gincidentallyinquiry

Post by gincidentallyinquiry » Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:24 pm

ella_ wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:06 pm
WOW! what was your rank in the reserve list, did you know? how far were you off from the cut-off? Let's hope your host (their admin who communicates with the NCP) isn't aware of the UK proposal situation. In any other situation the RL proposals would not stand much of a chance except the first 5 or so. On the other hand, UK was a big financial contributor to MSCA, so next year will probably be seeing less crazy cut-off scores, and this years cut off scores will in reality be a bit lower by inviting RL proposals, like in previous years.
Regarding the 2022 RL: I have no idea about my ranking. I submitted my first proposal less than 3 months after obtaining my PhD, so the fact that I made it onto the RL and SoE was already unexpected. However, my ranking was probably quite low, as I scored 90 and the cutoff was 93.

Regarding the 2023 RL: I'm unsure how to feel about it. I confess I might be overthinking things a bit (is she trying to lower my expectations so I don't stress over it? Does my ranking at 26 already exclude all UK applicants?). Let's see what happens in the coming months...

Hope people keep updating this forum!!

ella_

Post by ella_ » Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:34 pm

Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:24 pm
ella_ wrote:
Regarding the 2022 RL: I have no idea about my ranking. I submitted my first proposal less than 3 months after obtaining my PhD, so the fact that I made it onto the RL and SoE was already unexpected. However, my ranking was probably quite low, as I scored 90 and the cutoff was 93.

Regarding the 2023 RL: I'm unsure how to feel about it. I confess I might be overthinking things a bit (is she trying to lower my expectations so I don't stress over it? Does my ranking at 26 already exclude all UK applicants?). Let's see what happens in the coming months...

That would seem weird to me, but did you not get your actual ranking, only the RL? SOC had 248 projects on the ML right, so would be nice for you to know your actual ranking I guess...

glycoglyco

Post by glycoglyco » Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:37 pm

ella_ wrote:

I think most NCP / hosts give the same realistic-pesimistic view about our chances of getting it. However, the numbers don't match to me. My host told me that just about 5 proposals from all reserve list were called last year, however it is known that +200 UK projects were in the main list last year.... so the numbers don't seem to work out. In my opinion (just another overthinker overthinking), the data that NCPs/hosts have from previous calls must relate to numbers post-UK withdrawals, meaning that just a few proposals are called from the reserve ist that is left after the big push due to the UK rejections. Otherwise, I can't understand where the money goes!

gincidentallyinquiry

Post by gincidentallyinquiry » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:00 pm

ella_ wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:34 pm
ella_ wrote:

That would seem weird to me, but did you not get your actual ranking, only the RL? SOC had 248 projects on the ML right, so would be nice for you to know your actual ranking I guess...
Sorry for any confusion earlier; I realize I touched on two different topics and may not have been entirely clear. Let me try to clarify.

In the 2022 call, I tried for the first time and scored 90, getting into the RL. I only received a letter stating I was in the reserve list, and I didn't get any information about my ranking. I didn't ask, and my host didn't tell me. I was VERY below the cutoff (which was 93 in 2022), so no one bothered. Today I got a rejection letter for the 2022 call.

Now we're talking about the 2023 call. I resubmitted and got 94, with a cutoff of 94.6. I contacted my NCP the same day the cutoff was published, and they mentioned I was 26th in the RL. They also mentioned there were 35 UK applicants in the ML. No clarity as if my 26th RL position is already removing the UK applicants - I believe it is counting UK awardees. Today, out of nowhere, my host contacted me confirming my position in the RL list and that we RL applicants will start hearing something in 3-4 months. Then, they mentioned that my chances are small.
Last edited by gincidentallyinquiry on Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ella_

Post by ella_ » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:01 pm

glycoglyco wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:37 pm
ella_ wrote:

I think most NCP / hosts give the same realistic-pesimistic view about our chances of getting it. However, the numbers don't match to me. My host told me that just about 5 proposals from all reserve list were called last year, however it is known that +200 UK projects were in the main list last year.... so the numbers don't seem to work out. In my opinion (just another overthinker overthinking), the data that NCPs/hosts have from previous calls must relate to numbers post-UK withdrawals, meaning that just a few proposals are called from the reserve ist that is left after the big push due to the UK rejections. Otherwise, I can't understand where the money goes!
So weird! this does not make any sense when compared to the forum for the 2022 call, where people with positions quite far back on the RL reported being funded, but I can also not see how they could have a separate RL without UK proposals, other people that would withdraw in the same timeframe would also result in more money being available for the RL. My NCP (Dutch) was not pessimistic at all, they said I was high on the reserve list with a position of 23. So I assume they have some different numbers regarding the previous years redistribution. I really thoroughly hate how obscure they keep this process.

gincidentallyinquiry

Post by gincidentallyinquiry » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:03 pm

glycoglyco wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:37 pm
ella_ wrote:

I also do not understand. It sucks that we dont have much information about last year's RL...