2023 Reserve list (HE-MSCA-PF-2023)

afabris

Re: 2023 Reserve list (HE-MSCA-PF-2023)

Post by afabris » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:43 pm

Perhaps the pressure should mainly be put on the UK research institutions. Indeed, the country renegotiated access to Horizon this year and from next year will actually be part of it (so I learned from the Italian NCP). But they cannot fund expenditure in a third country from the EU budget. But maybe the UK could allocate something to draw from the waiting list...let's hope so.
colecole wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:24 am
My suggestion is:

We UK-hosted applicants on the reserve list TOGETHER send an email to the EU funding agency and the UK NCP. With many people in the email list, they would have to carefully re-consider how to handle this issue.
I think, if they exclude UK-hosted applicants on the reserve list, it actually violates principles including equity, fairness, inclusion, etc. This is not a un-serious issue. By the very least, they should've well incorporated such potential issues in the beginning of the call.

If you are interested in sending this email together, please send me a private message.
Fingers crossed.

afabris

Post by afabris » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:45 pm

C'mon, good luck! I've tried searching and asking at the NCP but got no response... how can we find the info? actually it would be very helpful :roll:
Marie wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:10 am
afabris wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:46 pm
I received my ranking and I share it here so we can get an idea of the waiting lists.
Global Fellowship panel SOC: score 95.40 = 5th on the list
Hi there. I am right behind you on the reserve list.
Do you know how many UK based awardees are on the main list ?

nicola.m

Post by nicola.m » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:07 pm

My NCP told me that no UK projects will be funded this year (both main and reserve list).

Here you can see that is also mentioned in the MSCA news:
https://marie-sklodowska-curie-actions. ... rs-in-2023

However, UK projects will be funded anyway from UKRI.

The key question is:
*How many applications from UK are in the main/reserve list for each panel?*

I believe having this information would be super useful, especially for the many of us that has to plan critical things around this grant. My NCP told me that I cannot have info about UK projects, unless I ask directly to the UK NCP. I assume that the UK NCP will never reply me since my project is not UK. So, for those who know UK projects data, could you gently share the numbers? This would be invaluable for all of us. For example, my panel is GF-ECO.

Thanks and good luck to everyone! Being in the reserve list is anyway a great achievement!

Marie

Post by Marie » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:15 pm

afabris wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:45 pm
C'mon, good luck! I've tried searching and asking at the NCP but got no response... how can we find the info? actually it would be very helpful :roll:
Marie wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:10 am
afabris wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:46 pm
I received my ranking and I share it here so we can get an idea of the waiting lists.
Global Fellowship panel SOC: score 95.40 = 5th on the list
Hi there. I am right behind you on the reserve list.
Do you know how many UK based awardees are on the main list ?

I got the information:
There are 67 proposals on the main list in the GF-SOC panel, with a cut off score 96

There are 4 UK proposals on the main list (none above you on the reserve list). They will be excluded from the list, since UK was not associated to Horizon Europe form the PF 2023 call (the UK will fund those 4 projects).

Marie

Post by Marie » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:25 pm

nicola.m wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:07 pm
My NCP told me that no UK projects will be funded this year (both main and reserve list).

The key question is:

I believe having this information would be super useful, especially for the many of us that has to plan critical things around this grant. My NCP told me that I cannot have info about UK projects, unless I ask directly to the UK NCP. I assume that the UK NCP will never reply me since my project is not UK. So, for those who know UK projects data, could you gently share the numbers? This would be invaluable for all of us. For example, my panel is GF-ECO.

Thanks and good luck to everyone! Being in the reserve list is anyway a great achievement!
Here is the answer from the UK NCP

Unfortunately we do not have access to the reserve list which is managed directly by the Research Executive Agency, so are unable to tell you your position on the reserve list.

For funding thresholds across panels however, please see the thresholds table recently published by the Commission at the bottom of the MSCA PF 2023 call page, under the section “Call updates”: Funding & tenders (europa.eu) which will help you position your score. We also understand from internal communications with REA that out of 1111 proposals submitted with UK host institutions, 244 were successful and 119 were placed on the reserve list.

Successful 2023 call proposals submitted with UK host organisations will be funded by the UK Horizon Europe Guarantee (under the transitional measures applicable to 2021-2022-2023 calls), rather than by the European Commission (The UK has become associated to Horizon Europe as of 1 January 2024).

Regarding the reserve list, in order to be eligible for the UK Guarantee, you would have to be moved by the Commission to the main list and receive an invitation to the Grant Agreement Preparation. (Please see the dedicated Q&A in the Guarantee Guidance on page 16) which states that “Applications for the guarantee will ask for proof that your application has been invited to Grant Agreement Preparation (GAP) process by the EU. Even if your grant was originally placed on a reserve list, if you subsequently receive an invite to the GAP process, you can apply for the guarantee. The guarantee will not fund reserve list applications that have not been invited to the GAP process.”

This is the official Guarantee guidance, but based on the European Commission’s approach in the 2021 and 2022 calls, we understand that the Commission will not be inviting UK-based reserve list candidates to the GAP. Unless this changes, which we do not expect, it is unfortunately highly unlikely that you will receive funding this time around.

RE1355

Post by RE1355 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:25 pm

Marie wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:25 pm
nicola.m wrote:

The key question is:

Unfortunately we do not have access to the reserve list which is managed directly by the Research Executive Agency, so are unable to tell you your position on the reserve list.

For funding thresholds across panels however, please see the thresholds table recently published by the Commission at the bottom of the MSCA PF 2023 call page, under the section “Call updates”: Funding & tenders (europa.eu) which will help you position your score. We also understand from internal communications with REA that out of 1111 proposals submitted with UK host institutions, 244 were successful and 119 were placed on the reserve list.

Successful 2023 call proposals submitted with UK host organisations will be funded by the UK Horizon Europe Guarantee (under the transitional measures applicable to 2021-2022-2023 calls), rather than by the European Commission (The UK has become associated to Horizon Europe as of 1 January 2024).

Regarding the reserve list, in order to be eligible for the UK Guarantee, you would have to be moved by the Commission to the main list and receive an invitation to the Grant Agreement Preparation. (Please see the dedicated Q&A in the Guarantee Guidance on page 16) which states that “Applications for the guarantee will ask for proof that your application has been invited to Grant Agreement Preparation (GAP) process by the EU. Even if your grant was originally placed on a reserve list, if you subsequently receive an invite to the GAP process, you can apply for the guarantee. The guarantee will not fund reserve list applications that have not been invited to the GAP process.”

This is the official Guarantee guidance, but based on the European Commission’s approach in the 2021 and 2022 calls, we understand that the Commission will not be inviting UK-based reserve list candidates to the GAP. Unless this changes, which we do not expect, it is unfortunately highly unlikely that you will receive funding this time around.
I got the same reply. This is a critical issue. we (UK-based proposals on the reserve list) should be in one place and thinking and acting about the problem. Please join and share this group for better communication. https://chat.whatsapp.com/CxVnVYHw3ZIDoSsb9TYJXp

RE1355

Post by RE1355 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:26 pm

we (UK-based proposals on the reserve list) should be in one place and thinking and acting about the problem. Please join and share this group for better communication. https://chat.whatsapp.com/CxVnVYHw3ZIDoSsb9TYJXp

dorello

Post by dorello » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:31 pm

RE1355 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:25 pm
Marie wrote:
nicola.m wrote:

The key question is:

I got the same reply. This is a critical issue. we (UK-based proposals on the reserve list) should be in one place and thinking and acting about the problem. Please join and share this group for better communication. https://chat.whatsapp.com/CxVnVYHw3ZIDoSsb9TYJXp
Maybe it's a bit strange that a Uk-based proposal should be moved to the main list only because the other UK proposals are foreclosed. But I understand the principle. UKRI should act like Sweden, due to the problems of negotiation with Horizon, and fund all the proposals selected in both lists

RE1355

Post by RE1355 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:25 pm

dorello wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:31 pm
RE1355 wrote:
Marie wrote:

Maybe it's a bit strange that a Uk-based proposal should be moved to the main list only because the other UK proposals are foreclosed. But I understand the principle. UKRI should act like Sweden, due to the problems of negotiation with Horizon, and fund all the proposals selected in both lists
If the projects move to the main list, automatically UKRI support those. Actually, the EU (REA) will decrease the cut-off score due to excluding UK-based projects from the main list. So, what's happened for UK-based proposals on the reserve list with a score more than the new cut-off score? For example, in 2021, the projects score about 90.-- were offered the grant by EU without considering the UK proposals. This is unfair.

ga2134

Post by ga2134 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:29 pm

dorello wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:31 pm
RE1355 wrote:
Marie wrote:

I mean in isolation UKRI's stand is logical. The non-logical part is the EU's approach to treat UK main list candidates at the same level as the rest of EU main listed candidates but treat UK reserve listed candidates differently. And bizarrely, the EU has nothing to gain from it whatsoever, and the only agency that profits from this is UKRI by having to fund fewer projects.