2023 Reserve list (HE-MSCA-PF-2023)

RE1355

Re: 2023 Reserve list (HE-MSCA-PF-2023)

Post by RE1355 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:56 pm

I just emailed the UK NCP to ask them to take any action and provide guidance to raise the flag on this issue. The UK proposals will not take funds from the EU and will be funded by UKRI, but the procedure needs to start from the offer from the EU. Then, the proposal will be transferred to the UKRI. So, the EU should consider the proposal score and rank on the reserve list but it seems that the EU is going to exclude UK-based proposals from the reserve list.

gincidentallyinquiry

Post by gincidentallyinquiry » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:58 pm

The Spanish NCP has just replied to me.

Panel EF-SOC, grade: 94.00

I am 26th in the reserve list. There are 35 winners with UK host. They are going to drop out from the list.

However, they mention that: "We cannot confirm anything, since the call to the reserves is an internal process that involves the REA and also depends on the projects and country coefficients, in addition to the weight of the panel, etc."
Last edited by gincidentallyinquiry on Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pangolino

Post by Pangolino » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:53 pm

gincidentallyinquiry wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:49 pm
Pangolino wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:39 pm
ella_ wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:27 pm

Would you have a link that shows what happened in the previous two years? As I take it from your responses, correct me if I'm wrong, that usually projects from the reserve list have been called once UK projects are taken out of the list, but there's no guarantee that the budget will be allocated in the same way?
Hello, thanks for the posts you all write!
Does anyone know how many people were awarded the grant from the reserve list the previous two years for each panel? Are there official figures on this?
Is it literal that if there are, for example, 30 people on the UK main list and 20 people on the UK reserve list, that panel receives 50 additional spaces for the reserve list? Did this happen this way in previous years?
Hi!

Based on the information we got from different NCPs and what happened in the last two years, all UK awardees drop the list because they are funded by UKRI.
Ok, therefore I repeat in case someone has this info of the previous years.
Is it literal that if there are, for example, 30 people on the UK main list and 20 people on the UK reserve list, that panel receives 50 additional spaces for the reserve list? Did this happen this way in previous years? It is very important to be clear on this point, barely 10-20% of each panel are from UK

afabris

Post by afabris » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:05 pm

The secretary at my university says, however, that this year the British are part of the Horizon programme and what happened previously will not apply. Personally, I was not aware of this and I just report what they told me earlier.
Pangolino wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:53 pm
Pangolino wrote:

Does anyone know how many people were awarded the grant from the reserve list the previous two years for each panel? Are there official figures on this?
Is it literal that if there are, for example, 30 people on the UK main list and 20 people on the UK reserve list, that panel receives 50 additional spaces for the reserve list? Did this happen this way in previous years?
Hi!

Based on the information we got from different NCPs and what happened in the last two years, all UK awardees drop the list because they are funded by UKRI.
Is it literal that if there are, for example, 30 people on the UK main list and 20 people on the UK reserve list, that panel receives 50 additional spaces for the reserve list? Did this happen this way in previous years? It is very important to be clear on this point, barely 10-20% of each panel are from UK

glycoglyco

Post by glycoglyco » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:23 pm

afabris wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:05 pm
The secretary at my university says, however, that this year the British are part of the Horizon programme and what happened previously will not apply. Personally, I was not aware of this and I just report what they told me earlier.
Pangolino wrote:

Hi!

Hi, sorry to contradict but the information from your secretary doesn't seem to be correct. The UK has associated but the last papers were signed in December 2023, taking effect from the 1st Jan 2024, so they will only be considered as associated country for the 2024 onwards.

However I would also be interested to know from applicants with experience from previous years, as Pangolino was asking, if the fact that X amount of UK proposals are in the reserve+main list, will make the reserve list to shift by X positions, some of them to be funded.

dorello

Post by dorello » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:26 pm

afabris wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:05 pm
Pangolino wrote:

Hi!

nono, from 2024 calls.
As to the calls keeping 2023 in their name, UK will not be part of Horizon and Ukri will supply:
https://www.ukri.org/apply-for-funding/horizon-europe/

gincidentallyinquiry

Post by gincidentallyinquiry » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:08 pm

Pangolino wrote:
Pangolino wrote:

Hi!

According to the Spanish NCP - this is a direct quote: "We can not confirm [that the transfer is direct from UK awardees to reserve list], since the call for reserves is an internal process carried out by REA and also depends on the projects and country coefficients, in addition to the weight of the panel, etc."

However, I am not sure what happened in reality.

edorla

Post by edorla » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:18 pm

Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:08 pm
Pangolino wrote:

Hi!

According to the Spanish NCP - this is a direct quote: "We can not confirm [that the transfer is direct from UK awardees to reserve list], since the call for reserves is an internal process carried out by REA and also depends on the projects and country coefficients, in addition to the weight of the panel, etc."

What happened last year is that after the grant agreement signing deadline (which was then 17 May), the UK proposals all were told they were ineligible for funding given the UK was not associated to Horizon Europe in time. The UK proposals which had been accepted could then get equivalent funding from UKRI, the UK proposals on the reserve list all got rejected. The non-UK proposals on the reserve list then all moved up to fill those spots, and judging by last year's thread on this forum, people who were 20-30th down on the reserve list ended up getting funding. However, there is no guarantee that the same thing will happen again this year and that the spots freed up by the UK proposals will be filled the same way. As a UK candidate on the reserve list, I'm definitely hoping we won't get kicked out unceremoniously this year ;) But the REA has the last word on how this works, and we're unlikely to learn more before April-May at the earliest...

RE1355

Post by RE1355 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:48 pm

edorla wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:18 pm
Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:08 pm
Pangolino wrote:

What happened last year is that after the grant agreement signing deadline (which was then 17 May), the UK proposals all were told they were ineligible for funding given the UK was not associated to Horizon Europe in time. The UK proposals which had been accepted could then get equivalent funding from UKRI, the UK proposals on the reserve list all got rejected. The non-UK proposals on the reserve list then all moved up to fill those spots, and judging by last year's thread on this forum, people who were 20-30th down on the reserve list ended up getting funding. However, there is no guarantee that the same thing will happen again this year and that the spots freed up by the UK proposals will be filled the same way. As a UK candidate on the reserve list, I'm definitely hoping we won't get kicked out unceremoniously this year ;) But the REA has the last word on how this works, and we're unlikely to learn more before April-May at the earliest...
This is unfair for UK-based proposals. If the EU offers them, they will be transferred to UKRI for funding. They will not use grants from other proposals.

ga2134

Post by ga2134 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:54 pm

RE1355 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:56 pm
I just emailed the UK NCP to ask them to take any action and provide guidance to raise the flag on this issue. The UK proposals will not take funds from the EU and will be funded by UKRI, but the procedure needs to start from the offer from the EU. Then, the proposal will be transferred to the UKRI. So, the EU should consider the proposal score and rank on the reserve list but it seems that the EU is going to exclude UK-based proposals from the reserve list.
Thanks for doing that. I also had an email chain with the UK NCP today. Without being too committal, they essentially told me to not expect anything different from the EU than what they've been doing last two years. They also did not reply to part of my question about whether there is an official channel or person in the EU that I can reach out to and express the case. So only hope is that via any medium we can find, we should clearly communicate this to the EU in as large a number as possible. Perhaps it will still be ignored, since it's in their hands and it's always easier for them to do things the same way. But at least we can try.