2020 Marie Curie discussions without results speculation

Fu Manchu

Re: 2020 Marie Curie discussions without results speculation

Post by Fu Manchu » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:50 pm

lifmc2020 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:10 pm
indeed my host institute had a section by section guide of what to put where! it was super helpful when doing edits to make sure everything was where it should be. also see if the host has a grants office because if you get the proposal done early enough, they will usually read through and add suggestions you and your supervisor might not think of. for instance in mine they really helped with language about IPR.
Hummm... Is it from Belgium? 🧐

Esbesp

Post by Esbesp » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:51 pm

Diatosystem wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:51 am
Esbesp wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:31 am
Diatosystem wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:32 am

Thanks for sharing your experience :) I am actually curious, what are your motivations to sail from Indutry to Academia? Because I know people have done in the other way around (Included me whether I will not success with my proposal)
Well so far I have worked for industry, for academia and for a government department and definitively I prefer the academia environment for múltiple reasons. First of all I find it more challenging, based in my experience. I am not saying that all industry jobs are boring, but the ones I have taken before are quite a lot based on the same routines every few days. In research that might happen as well, but at least you have more resources and opportunities to break with that routine and to find new challenges. Furthermore it’s easier to collaborate with a wider range of people from múltiple disciplines which is quite mind openning as well. Finally the teaching part that you might have if you also wish to collaborate with your supervisor organizing some courses. What’s your case by the way?
I've just completed my PhD last summer and in the meantime applied for the IF (EF-ST, panel LIF). During my PhD, I was part of a MSCA ITN, thus I would like to continue my career within this framework.
My idea to move to Industry stems from the fact that I am really concerned about the instability of an academic career, in comparison to Industry. Thus, I am considering it only in the case of a very good perpective (as the MSCA IF), which allows me to strongly enhance my CV and my possibility to get further grants in the future.
Congrats on your PhD!! I think it’s not a bad idea to try industry for a while. Regarding stability... it depends on a lot of factors I guess, but industry some times can also be very tricky in order to have a permanent position. I found myself in a similar situation as @Electrolyte when finishing my PhD, but I went for a postdoc position for a year. Then I reached the point where I had to make a decision if I wanted to try other sort of jobs! The thing I miss the most is the atmosphere of sharing with other colleages both your discoveries and your difficulties... I don’t know how to explain but that is difficult to find in industry.

lifmc2020

Post by lifmc2020 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:28 pm

Fu Manchu wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:50 pm
lifmc2020 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:10 pm
indeed my host institute had a section by section guide of what to put where! it was super helpful when doing edits to make sure everything was where it should be. also see if the host has a grants office because if you get the proposal done early enough, they will usually read through and add suggestions you and your supervisor might not think of. for instance in mine they really helped with language about IPR.
Hummm... Is it from Belgium? 🧐
Yes

Esbesp

Post by Esbesp » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:19 am

Have any of you applied for the Newton International Fellowship?? I am trying to get more insights about this one, but I know nobody who has applied before...