MSCA-IF awardees in 2019 and academics networking

michelef

Re: MSCA-IF awardees in 2019 and academics networking

Post by michelef » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:52 pm

MSCA-IF-CAR_2018 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:27 pm
Hi, thanks Turpentine for opening this 2019 thread.

I am also hesitating on the start date. I have just begun to realize that I have won the academic lottery!

Concerning the grant paperwork, do we have to do things ourselves or is it to the university to fill out all the paperwork by the deadline, which is 2 or 3 weeks no?

I will be moving from France to Austria and I am a philosopher of science working on scientific practices. Your projects sound interesting and I hope to collaborate with scientists working with models and computer simulations during the fellowship!
sound wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:41 pm
I will try to start sometime in may as i need to get my visa once i finish the grant paper work. My current postdoc is till end of march and i guess i can extend it by a month atleast.
Turpentine wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:54 pm
Hi! Thanks for sharing your profile, and congrats for your msca!! Sounds like an exciting project! :D When have you planned to start your new project?

That's a good point. I'm still trying to figure out how it works. According to what they told me, most of the procedures will be carried out by the institution, but there are other things that may involve the candidate (in my case we need to address some comments on the ethics part of the proposal)

Turpentine

Post by Turpentine » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:24 pm

What I also heard from the host institution is that they will take care of the Grant Agreement Preparation (GAP) and get back to me to precise specific points (e.g. beginning date). I also had a quite long list of ethic points to address (regarding animal experimentation, infectious materials...etc.). However, looking at the different sections of the GAP, the Ethics part is checked in green. I think the different points they raised have to be addressed over the course of the project. It doesn't make sense to require those documentation before the project starts as I am not physically in my host institution yet... That's my understanding so far - Is any former or present MSCA-IF fellow could confirm please?
michelef wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:52 pm
MSCA-IF-CAR_2018 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:27 pm
Hi, thanks Turpentine for opening this 2019 thread.

I am also hesitating on the start date. I have just begun to realize that I have won the academic lottery!

Concerning the grant paperwork, do we have to do things ourselves or is it to the university to fill out all the paperwork by the deadline, which is 2 or 3 weeks no?

I will be moving from France to Austria and I am a philosopher of science working on scientific practices. Your projects sound interesting and I hope to collaborate with scientists working with models and computer simulations during the fellowship!
sound wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:41 pm
I will try to start sometime in may as i need to get my visa once i finish the grant paper work. My current postdoc is till end of march and i guess i can extend it by a month atleast.

That's a good point. I'm still trying to figure out how it works. According to what they told me, most of the procedures will be carried out by the institution, but there are other things that may involve the candidate (in my case we need to address some comments on the ethics part of the proposal)

michelef

Post by michelef » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:39 pm

Turpentine wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:24 pm
What I also heard from the host institution is that they will take care of the Grant Agreement Preparation (GAP) and get back to me to precise specific points (e.g. beginning date). I also had a quite long list of ethic points to address (regarding animal experimentation, infectious materials...etc.). However, looking at the different sections of the GAP, the Ethics part is checked in green. I think the different points they raised have to be addressed over the course of the project. It doesn't make sense to require those documentation before the project starts as I am not physically in my host institution yet... That's my understanding so far - Is any former or present MSCA-IF fellow could confirm please?
I see... In my specific case the ethics evaluation says that the comments needs to be addressed before grant signature or become part of the grant agreement (so addressing them during the fellowship). They told me that it would be better to address the minor things immediately and include other things like obtaining the protocol approval in the agreement to address them later... So I guess it may be similar in your case, longer procedures like obtaining the necessary documentation and protocol approval may be addressed during the fellowship (but my knowledge on this is very limited so better asking the host institution for more precise info)

PierreSkłodowski

Post by PierreSkłodowski » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:35 pm

hi guys and congratulations to all!
myself I got a 3-year CAR fellowship in LIF [but my background is in physics and computer science] and I have recently moved from the USA to Greece.
My proposal is related to machine learning and microbial sequences.
I'm curious about discussing with you Turpentine about 3D networks modeling (and also how this connects to mass spectrometry!) and exploring the possibility of collaboration, since I am currently working on a project for large-scale network (graph) layout in 2D and 3D.
We are lucky to have been given great independence through this fellowship and I would be keen using it to explore interesting collaborations with the many talented people here from other scientific areas, even going beyond the limits of our proposal.

Regarding actual salaries, you might know that it depends on the host country and is adjusted by the country correction coefficient (CCC) - see p. 77 here for a list:
http://ec.europa.eu/research/participan ... sca_en.pdf

For my case with CCC = 88.7% the net salary will be around 2500 euro/month after taxes... I know this reliably from a last year's MSCA fellow at my institute. Of course how much is taken for taxes after applying the CCC depends on the tax laws of each country and can vary a lot..

Thank you all for providing support and entertainment before the results and I hope we keep having interesting conversations here!

Turpentine

Post by Turpentine » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:02 pm

Hi "Pierre"! First of all, congrats and thank your wife on my behalf for providing this funding!! :D
I will write you a PM with more info to discuss further a potential collaboration. I would be thrilled to team up with talented people as well! I will tell you more about my project and how I see where that could go! From what you say, I believe you could be interested.
The link to the doc you provided is interesting. There are also these mobility and family allowances which could boost this salary. Do you know how that works or is it already included in the salary you mentioned?

Thanks for your contribution, and TTY in PM very soon!
PierreSkłodowski wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:35 pm
myself I got a 3-year CAR fellowship in LIF [but my background is in physics and computer science] and I have recently moved from the USA to Greece.
I'm curious about discussing with you Turpentine about 3D networks modeling (and also how this connects to mass spectrometry!) and exploring the possibility of collaboration, since I am currently working on a project for large-scale network (graph) layout in 2D and 3D.
We are lucky to have been given great independence through this fellowship and I would be keen using it to explore interesting collaborations with the many talented people here from other scientific areas, even going beyond the limits of our proposal.

Regarding actual salaries, you might know that it depends on the host country and is adjusted by the country correction coefficient (CCC) - see p. 77 here for a list:

For my case with CCC = 88.7% the net salary will be around 2500 euro/month after taxes... I know this reliably from a last year's MSCA fellow at my institute. Of course how much is taken for taxes after applying the CCC depends on the tax laws of each country and can vary a lot..

Thank you all for providing support and entertainment before the results and I hope we keep having interesting conversations here!

Turpentine

Post by Turpentine » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:50 pm

This is not a scoop, and I just didnt' dig enough in the H2020 website, but there are very detailed explanations on every points (on grant preparation, evaluation process, signature, implementation, follow-up) in the portal manual.

Link below for those like me who deal for the first time with EC stuff:

http://ec.europa.eu/research/participan ... ion_en.htm

PierreSkłodowski

Post by PierreSkłodowski » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:38 pm

Sounds good, would be interested to know more!
The family allowance is not included since that person is not married.
My guess is that the mobility allowance is included but not 100% sure, will have to confirm that.
Also, from the guide it seems that any unused funds from the research, training and networking costs can be used to boost the salary (although dealing with this bureaucratically will be a pain in my case I am sure)
Turpentine wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:02 pm
Hi "Pierre"! First of all, congrats and thank your wife on my behalf for providing this funding!! :D
I will write you a PM with more info to discuss further a potential collaboration. I would be thrilled to team up with talented people as well! I will tell you more about my project and how I see where that could go! From what you say, I believe you could be interested.
The link to the doc you provided is interesting. There are also these mobility and family allowances which could boost this salary. Do you know how that works or is it already included in the salary you mentioned?

PierreSkłodowski wrote:

Turpentine

Post by Turpentine » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:15 pm

I sent you an PM with more explanations.
Sounds very interesting that the training and networking costs can be used to boost the salary... :twisted: Moving to a new country across the ocean is very expensive. Let me know by PM if you are interested to further talk about putative collab.
Cheers,
PierreSkłodowski wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:38 pm
Sounds good, would be interested to know more!
The family allowance is not included since that person is not married.
My guess is that the mobility allowance is included but not 100% sure, will have to confirm that.
Also, from the guide it seems that any unused funds from the research, training and networking costs can be used to boost the salary (although dealing with this bureaucratically will be a pain in my case I am sure)
Turpentine wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:02 pm

PierreSkłodowski wrote:

djivaha

Post by djivaha » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:30 pm

Hi to everyone from Serbia! Thrilled to be part of this community! This was my first attempt, I wrote an ST-ENG proposal and will be going to Spain (any ideas on the gross-net ratio for the salary there? I see some calculators online but not sure if they're trustworthy).
What I could really use help with is some advice on the start date - if I understand correctly it must be within 12 months from signing the GA (end of March)? But the give indicative date can also be changed later on (e.g. from January 2020 to February 2020)?
I will probably have to do another research stay before the fellowship for 3-4 months in USA so thinking on how to combine it. Also, I'm an assistant professor and have to think about whether and how to get unpaid leave for this period (if there is any advice or experiences with this please let me know:)
Anyway, I wish everyone successful and smooth fellowships, and a time of your life!

sound

Post by sound » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:43 pm

My host is getting some ethics clearance done before the grant signing in a month. And my host institute changed their name so im waiting for the online change of name as well :p.