2018 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2018)

Kitten

Re: 2018 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2018)

Post by Kitten » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:24 am

Well, have a position already but aiming for Prof and need it at the institution where I work to get Professorship :roll: - the project is also really interesting and as we scored well, we didn't want to give up on it :geek: - is this your first attempt?

Bren

Post by Bren » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:18 am

Oh man there's so much I don't understand about academic careers, the thought that this grant could help one get a professorship never entered my mind.As a late' comer to academia I am not clued in on these things.

Yea this is my first time, and I really do want to get it even if I don't accept it in the end.
Kitten wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:24 am
Well, have a position already but aiming for Prof and need it at the institution where I work to get Professorship :roll: - the project is also really interesting and as we scored well, we didn't want to give up on it :geek: - is this your first attempt?

lolome

Post by lolome » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:50 am

It is my second attempt, although I have changed the project completely. Last call I applied because my research fellow contract in the UK was finished, but I did it too fast and the project wasn't good enough I have to admit. I got unemployed and I stayed unemployed for more than a year for health (I have been ill for two years and I needed a rest) and personal reasons. So in this call I have had more time to write the application and I think the new project is much better. Also, as at the time of the application I was unemployed for more than 12 months, I did apply to the Career Restart path (which is 3 years rather than two), while in the last call I did it in the Standard route. Don't know whether this will change my fate ;) ... Anyway, in the meantime I got a job and two weeks ago I started a lectureship in the UK, not permanent though... So getting the Marie Curie Fellowship would mean I could go back to Spain after nine years in the UK. I think it is a good option after Brexit. I am also waiting for the results of another grant to go back home.

Kitten, wouldn't be better to get an ERC starting/consolidator grant if your aim is to get merits for a professorship? A Marie Curie fellowship is a fellowship, not a grant to build a group. Also, how could your institution ask you for this? The MC program asks for mobility, meaning you have to move to another country. Are you trying the European or the Global Fellowship?
Kitten wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:24 am

Barbamichou

Post by Barbamichou » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:21 am

Bren wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:18 am
Oh man there's so much I don't understand about academic careers, the thought that this grant could help one get a professorship never entered my mind.As a late' comer to academia I am not clued in on these things.

Yea this is my first time, and I really do want to get it even if I don't accept it in the end.
Hi all!
I'm new on the board. This is my first application this year for Standard EF in the Life panel, but I just accepted another 3-year post-doc. A bit painful as this felt like I stopped believing I would be grantee this year, but learning how to frame these project is clearly a strong added value for an academic career.
That's why I reply to Bren's comment here, as the competition for tenureship positions is increasingly hard. Because most of the schedule of a young/mid-age/old PI will consist in raising money, having already raised money from competitive agencies is a strong line on a CV.
Please keep in mind that about half of the ERC grantees (which is even more competitive than Marie Curie fellowships) have been awarded a Marie Curie in the past. To speak in Marie Curie's terms, raising money is the best complementary skill you have to acquire.

Kitten

Post by Kitten » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:40 pm

Yes agree, any funding is vital to professorship - so I have 3 bids in at the moment (and have put in about 20 in last 6 years - no success so far :cry: ) but hope this year will be there year!!! :D

lolome

Post by lolome » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:01 pm

What do you mean with professorship? obtaining a position of lecturer or a position of professor? It is very confusing reading your words.

I know that in roman languages lecturer is called "profesor" or similar, so perhaps you refer to lecturer... Professor is something too big to get it after a MC fellowship.

I have got several fellowships and grants throughout my career, including the Leverhulme fellowship, and I am just another fixed-term lecturer...
Kitten wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:40 pm
Yes agree, any funding is vital to professorship - so I have 3 bids in at the moment (and have put in about 20 in last 6 years - no success so far :cry: ) but hope this year will be there year!!! :D

sound

Post by sound » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:25 pm

lolome wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:01 pm
What do you mean with professorship? obtaining a position of lecturer or a position of professor? It is very confusing reading your words.

I know that in roman languages lecturer is called "profesor" or similar, so perhaps you refer to lecturer... Professor is something too big to get it after a MC fellowship.

I have got several fellowships and grants throughout my career, including the Leverhulme fellowship, and I am just another fixed-term lecturer...
Kitten wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:40 pm
I assumed it was for mobility or for a student not directly the person per say?,??

evolved

Post by evolved » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:49 pm

Hi guys, results are coming! Grants section is very slow. I can't access the pdf documents and the "informed" status disappeared!

lolome

Post by lolome » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:55 pm

I have no problem accessing the grant section and my pdf document...
evolved wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:49 pm
Hi guys, results are coming! Grants section is very slow. I can't access the pdf documents and the "informed" status disappeared!

evolved

Post by evolved » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:58 pm

Maybe its random delays, due to the updating.
lolome wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:55 pm
I have no problem accessing the grant section and my pdf document...
evolved wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:49 pm