2018 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2018)

megasphaera

Re: 2018 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2018)

Post by megasphaera » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:30 pm

Hi all, sorry but i was quite busy this morning. Anyway, did not get it, I scored 76.4; it hurts knowing that you did your best and you were sure to get it.
I guess if you do everything by yourself that's the result. Now is pretty clear to me that my project has an enormous amount of pitfalls.
I can confirm that if they don't like the project everything else is evaluated as shit. I had a plan developed together with forster open science for the impact section that got me only 4.1

Well done to you all and see you in another life! Not going to apply again next year!

cheers!

Geezer_MSCA

Post by Geezer_MSCA » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:38 pm

AdinaBabesh wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:58 pm
Chronicle of Higher ED or Op-Ed in Nature are good, and maybe the European Ombudsman as well.
CountZ wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:52 pm
I understand the problems, and the aim of reaching out to the Commission, but I'm trying to assess the most impactful way of doing this.
Maybe it isn't to reach out to the commission at all, but rather to write an article in the Chronicle of Higher Ed or an Op-Ed in Nature or something.
Excellent idea

lolome

Post by lolome » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:41 pm

megasphaera wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:30 pm
Hi all, sorry but i was quite busy this morning. Anyway, did not get it, I scored 76.4; it hurts knowing that you did your best and you were sure to get it.
I guess if you do everything by yourself that's the result. Now is pretty clear to me that my project has an enormous amount of pitfalls.
I can confirm that if they don't like the project everything else is evaluated as shit. I had a plan developed together with forster open science for the impact section that got me only 4.1

Well done to you all and see you in another life! Not going to apply again next year!

cheers!
I am very sorry!

Try again. If you think that your project deserves to be funded (the excellence of the idea es the most important part) find a host that can help you, and read successful proposals (no matter the field). There are many things the reviewers have to see in order to say: oh, yes, everything that needs to be said has been said.

fr489

Post by fr489 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:46 pm

I'm number 90 in the reserve list :roll: . I was shocked to see they made a long reserve list knowing that only 5-6 people will eventually be needed from it. The person I talked to from my NCP, a very nice woman, said that it was still possible and one never knows! I was like - ehm, thank you for cheering me up here, but I think it's not gonna work :lol:

MCSF_new wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:00 pm
Yes, I gave hope, from NCP told me in SOC there are 114 people on the reserve list and I am 22, so no luck at all. Next year.

MC_F wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:53 pm
sbm wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:47 pm
I’ve talked to my NCP and I’m somewhere around position 40 on the list ST-LIF with 93.0.
So I guess everyone with scores lower than 93.4-93.5 won’t get it at any point.

40?? :shock: I did not expect so many people in the waiting list....well, I will take it as a rejection at this point...my score is lower than yours

MCSF_new

Post by MCSF_new » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:49 pm

For the first time, your result is perfect. Keep on doing this good work :) I found about FWO on this chat to be honest and yes, I will give it a try. I am 22 on the reserve list so there is no hope but I am very optimistic for future selections :)
Thana2019 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:07 pm
That’s a great score, good job! You might be in with a chance for the reserve list. And otherwise FWO offers opportunities for highly ranked reserve listers I believe.

My host is Sweden, so I’m waiting to hear from Swedish NCP about my position in the ranking and possible opportunities to be funded through Swedish funds. This was my first try, so I guess I’m happy with the result.
MCSF_new wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:18 am
I think there is no official information yet. Usually, they post the figures and the percentages in the updates of the call. https://ec.europa.eu/info/funding-tende ... ca-if-2018
I got 92.40 SOC and made it for the reserve list. Would be good to know the figures anyway. What is your host country? Mine is Belgium. Third time, the same project improved. 2017-64; 2017-84; 2019-92.40.

Thana2019 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:56 am
Does anyone have any idea of the number of people that are on the reserve list this year?

I read on this forum that the threshold for SOC this year is 92.6: anyone know where this can be verified other than the NCPs, i.e. is this inof on the website somewhere?

I am also on the reserve list in SOC (90.6%), but my score seems very far from the threshold if it is indeed 92.6, so I am not holding out much hope.

Dajm

Post by Dajm » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:55 pm

So, basically, the funniest people on this forum did not get the funding [scratches head]... :lol:
megasphaera wrote:

cheers!
Last edited by Dajm on Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

megasphaera

Post by megasphaera » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:58 pm

Oh well, that's exactly what I have done! I took two successful proposal and made it better (excluding the project part). So to be honest, apart from the project itself, nothing can be improved, is all there point by point.
To be honest i also don't believe in this project anymore (or at least after this), better move to other stuff!
lolome wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:41 pm
megasphaera wrote:

cheers!
I am very sorry!

Try again. If you think that your project deserves to be funded (the excellence of the idea es the most important part) find a host that can help you, and read successful proposals (no matter the field). There are many things the reviewers have to see in order to say: oh, yes, everything that needs to be said has been said.

hmdoel

Post by hmdoel » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:15 pm

I don't know, I feel a bit confused, I thought that my proposal is not good enough, I tried hard thou and spend several months to prepare (this is my first submission). I thought that if I am lucky, I could score above 85, if I am super lucky, I could probably make the cut-off... but I got 98, which is unexpected and I received no weaknesses at all in the comment, while I know that my proposal has some flaws...

I don't know why I wrote this here, but while I am happy with the result, but probably it is true that the evaluation system has some flaws... I dont know..

I wish everyone all the best, regardless of the result of this grant call

CountZ
Site Admin

Post by CountZ » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:23 pm

Thanks for your post and your honesty. The system has clearly has its flaws and I'm glad that a successful candidate recognizes this luck factor - which I think is important to generally recognize in academia. Congratulations on your amazing score, and make the best out of your research project!
hmdoel wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:15 pm
I don't know, I feel a bit confused, I thought that my proposal is not good enough, I tried hard thou and spend several months to prepare (this is my first submission). I thought that if I am lucky, I could score above 85, if I am super lucky, I could probably make the cut-off... but I got 98, which is unexpected and I received no weaknesses at all in the comment, while I know that my proposal has some flaws...

I don't know why I wrote this here, but while I am happy with the result, but probably it is true that the evaluation system has some flaws... I dont know..

I wish everyone all the best, regardless of the result of this grant call

kassiek

Post by kassiek » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:25 pm

CountZ wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:38 pm
kassiek wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:37 pm
xman25 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:27 pm
So, for those rejected folks, will your potential host still want to hire you in the following future?
Mine has contacted me and wants to talk about what I want to do...so I’m guessing yes.
What field are you in?
Engineering but more or less human factors in engineering.