2018 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2018)

AdinaBabesh

Re: 2018 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2018)

Post by AdinaBabesh » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:32 pm

Does anyone have any results for SOC? Thanks for replying!

I have asked before, but I think my message got lost.

traxtibidox

Post by traxtibidox » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:34 pm

AdinaBabesh wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:32 pm
Does anyone have any results for SOC? Thanks for replying!

I have asked before, but I think my message got lost.
Well, I have read all the comments here :lol: seems no one posted a result from SOC panel.
Good Luck!

kokoroko

Post by kokoroko » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:42 pm

Dort wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:29 pm
If add gender aspects is mandatory, than I'm screwed. Not relevant at all for my research... Also, my advisor is a MC evaluator and he told me clearly that it is simply a lottery. We are evaluated by people who probably no nothing about our research topics and it is a matter of them just liking the style rather than the content.

If I don't get this fellowship I haver another one that I'm also waiting to hear back and if nothing works I'm trying something else, I really wanna have a life and not just jump from one place to the other withou knowing my future 2 years ahead. Academia is just impossible these days and unviersities are trying their best to screw us anyway they can with contracts of only 2-5 years.
A friend of mine was rejected on his first try in part also because he didn't address gender aspects even if it was clearly irrelevant to his project. Next year he got it (briefly addressed why this is irrelevant in a paragraph). I did the same following his advice because gender aspects are irrelevant for my project -- I used a paragraph to explain why it is irrelevant to demonstrate that I gave the aspect some thought. I hope this will be enough...

Anyway, I'm in the same boat; waiting for two other applications at the same time and my current contract ends with the end of May (+ a month or two of extension). It's annoying not knowing where life will take me -- or whether I will have to seek a job outside of academia pretty soon.

Dajm

Post by Dajm » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:43 pm

Dort, I personally don't think gender aspects are mandatory for SOC (the form itself clearly states "if relevant"), I was just trying illustrate the randomness of the reviews.. Break a leg with your app!
Dort wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:29 pm
If add gender aspects is mandatory, than I'm screwed. Not relevant at all for my research... Also, my advisor is a MC evaluator and he told me clearly that it is simply a lottery. We are evaluated by people who probably no nothing about our research topics and it is a matter of them just liking the style rather than the content.

If I don't get this fellowship I haver another one that I'm also waiting to hear back and if nothing works I'm trying something else, I really wanna have a life and not just jump from one place to the other withou knowing my future 2 years ahead. Academia is just impossible these days and unviersities are trying their best to screw us anyway they can with contracts of only 2-5 years.
Dajm wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:44 pm
I had a high score (but not funded) last year and I disagree with the evaluators on most points. For instance, they said, too little time for fieldwork for one of my case countries. I have two decades of experience doing fieldwork on similar projects and I know exactly how much time I need per case. They also said "interdisciplinary AND gender aspects of the proposal have not been sufficiently addressed". The instructions clearly said that gender aspects should only be addressed if relevant (they weren't for me) but the evaluation feedback suggested that they may be assessing those two aspects together (I believed interdisciplinary aspects of my proposal had been sufficiently addressed). A few other similarly dubious points. This time around I did as instructed - added more time for fieldwork, added gender aspects, etc. Was the revised version an improvement? Not so sure, the original proposal was tighter and, imho, better. So, "bettering" the proposal is relative ;).
lolome wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:29 pm
A total lottery or, instead, the better your proposal the more tickets for the lottery?

kassiek

Post by kassiek » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:45 pm

I used a couple of sentences and a reference for why gender was irrelevant...but they I did (at the urging of others) add a paragraph about how I was a woman and would encourage little girls in STEM. It made me feel a bit dirty even though I would do it anyway if I were to get it. I just didn’t see why it needed to be said.

lolome

Post by lolome » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:53 pm

I did not write anything related to gender aspects on my proposal. I'm also a woman, but I think that it is totally irrelevant for the research I suggested.

Another thing would be evaluating how knowledge transfer done by women could inspire more girls to take STEM careers, but it think that's another grant that it's totally unrelated to my geoscience project.

danGFSOC

Post by danGFSOC » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:54 pm

If they don't like enough the project and they do not want to fund it, they will use the missing of gender aspects to bring your score down under the cut off. If they like it, they will not even mention it and you will get the fellowship. Same for other things (IPR, dissemination etc...). So it is not relevant in the first case. It is relevant in the second :lol: . They use these details to justify in "Marie Curie terms" a decision that actually is taken on other grounds.
Last edited by danGFSOC on Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bren

Post by Bren » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:55 pm

If you don't address gender you have no chance of getting funded, even if your research is into how moss grows on stones. Its the modern political climate, unfortunately.

danGFSOC

Post by danGFSOC » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:56 pm

Sorry bren but this is not correct except in left wing conspiracy theory
Bren wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:55 pm
If you don't address gender you have no chance of getting funded, even if your research is into how moss grows on stones. Its the modern political climate, unfortunately.

Dajm

Post by Dajm » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:56 pm

Thanks for your input, this is interesting. What is this based on?
danGFSOC wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:54 pm
If they don't like enough the project and they do not want to fund it, they will use the missing of gender aspects to bring your score down under the cut off. If they like it, they will not even mention it and you will get the fellowship. Same for other things (IPR, dissemination etc...). So it is not relevant in the first case. It is relevant in the second :lol: . They use these details to justify in "Marie Curie terms" a decision that actually is taken on other grounds.