2018 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2018)

expert_pastMC

Re: 2018 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2018)

Post by expert_pastMC » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:43 pm

you refer to me, and I really don't understand your comments. what is there that I don't understand or I don't know. from previous years, it seemed those still in evaluation when the results were out were under the threshold. why are you attacking me for saying what happened in previous years?

Starryeyed wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:35 pm
Do you know... I read all last year's posts. The posters all seemed mutually supportive - sharing in the nerves, and genuinely disappointed/happy to hear each other's news.
When we all started pontificating on who is under the
threshold, it started to feel nasty. Now, it's quite possible that I did indeed fail to get over 70. It was a fairly last minute attempt etc. But the thing is - I don't KNOW that. And I certainly don't know that everyone still in evaluation is under the threshold. And y'all don't know that. Most people here seem to respect that - and realise they don't KNOW what's going on w ranking and evaluation. But then there are a few that seem not to understand their own fallibility and lack of knowledge on this score. The one who calls himself expert springs to mind.
There is something slightly off about being told, not only did I definitely not get it, but also scored so lowly I will be unranked, not by an msca email, but by a self styled expert. Clearly I still have (not high) hope that I will be successful. I have high hopes that at least some of those in evaluation will be successful. If I'm right on that score, maybe it'll teach some here a lesson in humility. If not, I'll just have to bow to the expert opinion of others, though I'll maintain that, at the very least, they could have conducted themselves with a little more sensitivity and decorum. Good luck everyone!

Bren

Post by Bren » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:44 pm

If you listen very carefully, you will hear a tiny little mouse playing a sad tune on a tiny little violin, just for you.
Starryeyed wrote:
Do you know... I read all last year's posts. The posters all seemed mutually supportive - sharing in the nerves, and genuinely disappointed/happy to hear each other's news.
threshold, it started to feel nasty. Now, it's quite possible that I did indeed fail to get over 70. It was a fairly last minute attempt etc. But the thing is - I don't KNOW that. And I certainly don't know that everyone still in evaluation is under the threshold. And y'all don't know that. Most people here seem to respect that - and realise they don't KNOW what's going on w ranking and evaluation. But then there are a few that seem not to understand their own fallibility and lack of knowledge on this score. The one who calls himself expert springs to mind.
There is something slightly off about being told, not only did I definitely not get it, but also scored so lowly I will be unranked, not by an msca email, but by a self styled expert. Clearly I still have (not high) hope that I will be successful. I have high hopes that at least some of those in evaluation will be successful. If I'm right on that score, maybe it'll teach some here a lesson in humility. If not, I'll just have to bow to the expert opinion of others, though I'll maintain that, at the very least, they could have conducted themselves with a little more sensitivity and decorum. Good luck everyone!

volcpro

Post by volcpro » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:48 pm

Ranking vs evaluation: lots of speculation, none of the theory on this forum would go through peer review :) Wait and see!

Humility: Just ignore members who post they have outstanding amazing increadible track records and applied in top labs with best supervisor in the world. Good for them...

Starryeyed

Post by Starryeyed » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:50 pm

Wow Bren. I had my suspicions with the toicfaidh ar la stuff... But it's nice to see your true colours in full view.

CountZ
Site Admin

Post by CountZ » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:50 pm

Starryeyed wrote:
Yes, I agree that all guesses here should be taken (and given) with a grain of salt. You won't know the final results until that email comes.

People can make their guesses - and that's all part of being a community of people waiting for results in the dark. The guessing game is just a way of passing the time, and some people are also interested in figuring out how the system works. For instance, for me, I've made my predictions about (1) the validity of the links and (2) what the results of the links means, and I'm looking forward to being able to see if my logic was correct or not when the results come out. I'm happy to hear anyone's guesses, but also take responsibility for interpreting these and casting judgement on what I think is legit and what isn't.

But, yes, it's not worth being stressed out about these guesses though as they are just that "guesses" (or hypotheses), and there are numerous reasons why they may be correct or incorrect. So have a nice time joining us here in the forums, voicing your frustrations, supporting others, but remember that no one here knows any more than you do (apart from Brussels who are spying on us), share what you know (or don't know) to our common knowledge, and feel confident with your gut feeling about your proposal. Good luck!

expert_pastMC

Post by expert_pastMC » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:54 pm

could please someone explain to me why I am being attacked here? (unless there is another member in here a self-proclaimed expert!)

CountZ wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:50 pm
Starryeyed wrote:
Yes, I agree that all guesses here should be taken (and given) with a grain of salt. You won't know the final results until that email comes.

People can make their guesses - and that's all part of being a community of people waiting for results in the dark. The guessing game is just a way of passing the time, and some people are also interested in figuring out how the system works. For instance, for me, I've made my predictions about (1) the validity of the links and (2) what the results of the links means, and I'm looking forward to being able to see if my logic was correct or not when the results come out. I'm happy to hear anyone's guesses, but also take responsibility for interpreting these and casting judgement on what I think is legit and what isn't.

But, yes, it's not worth being stressed out about these guesses though as they are just that "guesses" (or hypotheses), and there are numerous reasons why they may be correct or incorrect. So have a nice time joining us here in the forums, voicing your frustrations, supporting others, but remember that no one here knows any more than you do (apart from Brussels who are spying on us), share what you know (or don't know) to our common knowledge, and feel confident with your gut feeling about your proposal. Good luck!

amannu

Post by amannu » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:56 pm

I checked the link and the my personal page with the style disabled.

AdinaBabesh wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:38 pm
Did u access the link from different browsers, phone, computer?
amannu wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:36 pm
Hi guys, sorry to insist, but as I wrote before in this forum I think that to be still in EVALUATION does not mean anything. I said this because I am still in EVALUATION, but I am quite sure that my project (second time, different host) can not be evaluated under the treshold.

Anyway we will know in a couple of days....

dreamline wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:27 pm

I guess there will be no second round of RANKING if they finally release the results on Thursday midnight, simply because there is amost no time left. If they could rank us then decide the final list of luck guys in a few hours, they must have done it before.

expert_pastMC

Post by expert_pastMC » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:58 pm

and do you get the same phase in the outdated link and the other one?
amannu wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:56 pm
I checked the link and the my personal page with the style disabled.

AdinaBabesh wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:38 pm
Did u access the link from different browsers, phone, computer?
amannu wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:36 pm
Hi guys, sorry to insist, but as I wrote before in this forum I think that to be still in EVALUATION does not mean anything. I said this because I am still in EVALUATION, but I am quite sure that my project (second time, different host) can not be evaluated under the treshold.

Anyway we will know in a couple of days....

kassiek

Post by kassiek » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:03 pm

It seems the stress levels are getting to everyone. I think things probably aren’t helped by the differing levels of sarcasm that some of the posters have. I attempt to be 100% genuine in all my posts due to sarcasm not translating well, but this can even be read as such by people.

I think we can all agree we don’t know things for sure even if we have some theories. And that everyone here wishes everyone could get the fellowship! Truth is that we can’t and it is very likely a bunch of us won’t get it. If less than 20% get it, I will even go so far as to say it’s unlikely I’ll get it. It will be sad, but I’ll be happy for all those that get it and sad for those who don’t. I believe the majority (if not all) of us feel the same.

MVS

Post by MVS » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:08 pm

Second that! Even with a perfect application, one or two reviewers who are hostile to your approach / framework / supervisor can ruin everything. And the same application can then score very high in another call.
kassiek wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:03 pm
It seems the stress levels are getting to everyone. I think things probably aren’t helped by the differing levels of sarcasm that some of the posters have. I attempt to be 100% genuine in all my posts due to sarcasm not translating well, but this can even be read as such by people.

I think we can all agree we don’t know things for sure even if we have some theories. And that everyone here wishes everyone could get the fellowship! Truth is that we can’t and it is very likely a bunch of us won’t get it. If less than 20% get it, I will even go so far as to say it’s unlikely I’ll get it. It will be sad, but I’ll be happy for all those that get it and sad for those who don’t. I believe the majority (if not all) of us feel the same.