2018 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2018)

megasphaera

Re: 2018 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2018)

Post by megasphaera » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:38 pm

I don't think, they will reject an application for that. In the b1 for sure, but in b2 maybe not.
fr489 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:22 pm
I completely agree with this. I think the rest of the proposal was decent, especially for a first timer, but I assume one cannot afford minor errors like these.

If you are all curious, I exceeded the one-page limit for the participating organisation, in a very silly way (changing the font size would have been enough to keep it at one page). I misread the instructions and remained convinced all along that the one-page limit applied to something else. Mea culpa. Thus I expected (even wanted) a very early rejection that would allow me to find alternatives with the host organisation.

SOC-2018 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:08 pm
fr489 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:53 pm
Hello everyone again :)

I personally think it's good that we know we should not extent results soon (thanks Bren and others who posted about if before). This constant wait and forum-refreshing state of mind does not seem very good.

I'm not very optimistic because I made a formal mistake in Form B-2 (without exceeding the maximum page numbers). I know what you are going to say: if I was not careful enough, I probably do not deserve the grant! The truth is that I spent a lot of time on the application but I misunderstood something all along, and only noticed after submission. Please have some understanding and don't trash me yet! :cry:

This formal mistake would suggest I should not even pass the 70% threshold! And still, I appeared on Ranking. Paradoxically, I need to have the rejection ASAP because my host organisation told me that, if that were the case, we could prepare alternative ways for me to join the research centre.
As the evaluators' assessment is essentially based on the first section of the proposal, I think it is not so surprising if your proposal reaches the threshold of 70 (provided that the first section is really well-written)! However, I'm afraid your mistake may cost you the fellowship because it is too competitive! but who knows?! keep your fingers crossed! ;)

Thana2019

Post by Thana2019 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:40 pm

My two cents (since I’m currently working at a national funding agency): if it’s a requirement in the proposal instructions, it is meant to be checked by staff when the proposals are submitted (eligibility check). This process is very thorough, but mistakes are made. So you could have slipped through the net (yay!), or it is not one of the criteria on which your application would be disqualified (also yay!). I could hardly imagine that you would be disqualified based on this tiny thing and not have been informed yet, although EU does do these things differently than national funding bodies.
fr489 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:27 pm
I think they are instructed to notice, precisely because it is so competitive. In any case I will report my score here so that we all learn from it and avoid similar future mistakes :)

SOC-2018

Post by SOC-2018 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:43 pm

The Grant Management Services may be experiencing issues with Grant Management tasks on Thursday, 31.01.2019, between 07:30 and 08:10 CET. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Bren

Post by Bren » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:46 pm

That will make zero difference. I also exceeded that limit, and I studied 3 very high scoring proposals from previous years as part of my preparation and they all exceeded that limit too. So don't worry, if we don't get the funding its because our proposals are shit rather than due to exceeding page limits :D
fr489 wrote:
I completely agree with this. I think the rest of the proposal was decent, especially for a first timer, but I assume one cannot afford minor errors like these.

If you are all curious, I exceeded the one-page limit for the participating organisation, in a very silly way (changing the font size would have been enough to keep it at one page). I misread the instructions and remained convinced all along that the one-page limit applied to something else. Mea culpa. Thus I expected (even wanted) a very early rejection that would allow me to find alternatives with the host organisation.

SOC-2018 wrote:
fr489 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:53 pm
Hello everyone again :)

I personally think it's good that we know we should not extent results soon (thanks Bren and others who posted about if before). This constant wait and forum-refreshing state of mind does not seem very good.

I'm not very optimistic because I made a formal mistake in Form B-2 (without exceeding the maximum page numbers). I know what you are going to say: if I was not careful enough, I probably do not deserve the grant! The truth is that I spent a lot of time on the application but I misunderstood something all along, and only noticed after submission. Please have some understanding and don't trash me yet! :cry:

This formal mistake would suggest I should not even pass the 70% threshold! And still, I appeared on Ranking. Paradoxically, I need to have the rejection ASAP because my host organisation told me that, if that were the case, we could prepare alternative ways for me to join the research centre.
As the evaluators' assessment is essentially based on the first section of the proposal, I think it is not so surprising if your proposal reaches the threshold of 70 (provided that the first section is really well-written)! However, I'm afraid your mistake may cost you the fellowship because it is too competitive! but who knows?! keep your fingers crossed! ;)

sound

Post by sound » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:56 pm

I can say for sure they get back to you to fix it. I was asked last year to check the font size as one line in the pdf was slightly smaller than the limit. Took me a while to figure which. This time ran font size check on the pdf few times
Thana2019 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:40 pm
My two cents (since I’m currently working at a national funding agency): if it’s a requirement in the proposal instructions, it is meant to be checked by staff when the proposals are submitted (eligibility check). This process is very thorough, but mistakes are made. So you could have slipped through the net (yay!), or it is not one of the criteria on which your application would be disqualified (also yay!). I could hardly imagine that you would be disqualified based on this tiny thing and not have been informed yet, although EU does do these things differently than national funding bodies.
fr489 wrote:
I think they are instructed to notice, precisely because it is so competitive. In any case I will report my score here so that we all learn from it and avoid similar future mistakes :)

fr489

Post by fr489 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:58 pm

Thank you Bren, as sharp as usual hahaha
Bren wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:46 pm
That will make zero difference. I also exceeded that limit, and I studied 3 very high scoring proposals from previous years as part of my preparation and they all exceeded that limit too. So don't worry, if we don't get the funding its because our proposals are shit rather than due to exceeding page limits :D
fr489 wrote:

SOC-2018 wrote:

danGFSOC

Post by danGFSOC » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:59 pm

Yes, I was saying that: in the guide is clearly spelled that if a minor aspect (like yours) is crucial for the eligibility of the application they can write you to fix it! So, it is not a problem, at all!
sound wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:56 pm
I can say for sure they get back to you to fix it. I was asked last year to check the font size as one line in the pdf was slightly smaller than the limit. Took me a while to figure which. This time ran font size check on the pdf few times
Thana2019 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:40 pm
fr489 wrote:

sbm

Post by sbm » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:00 pm

Does this ever mean they're updating sth? :lol: :lol: :?
SOC-2018 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:43 pm
The Grant Management Services may be experiencing issues with Grant Management tasks on Thursday, 31.01.2019, between 07:30 and 08:10 CET. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

CountZ
Site Admin

Post by CountZ » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:01 pm

That's true, you're right.
evolved wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:20 pm
Either the information is the same in the two links or not. Subdividing the sample into more and more subcategories doesn’t help. Your assertion would need a much higher sample to validate. Mine needs only a single observation being different between the two links, which is what you also saw.
CountZ wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:04 pm
They're the same for everyone with RANKING.
evolved wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:51 pm
You just proved that the information on the two links was not the same (with 1 exception out of 4 people,as you say).
How did you come to the conclusion that the two links are the same.

dreamline

Post by dreamline » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:07 pm

sbm wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:00 pm
Does this ever mean they're updating sth? :lol: :lol: :?
SOC-2018 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:43 pm
updating their system to send emails?