2018 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2018)

ATBGF2017

Re: 2018 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2018)

Post by ATBGF2017 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:09 pm

This is ideal. But I am not sure if this is how things are done. I think the CV introduces a certain level of bias to the evaluations during the scoring part.

Bren wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:35 pm
Applications are checked for eligibility. Then proposals go to evaluators who score them according to the research criteria we all know about. Then, after ranking, if there are a number of proposals with equal scores but not enough money to fund em all, evaluators can refer to CVs to help them make their decision, they will fund those with the most experience. Therefore, for most people, CVs aint important at all, but for a small few, they are crucial. Thats how my former expert colleague explained it to me.
SOC-2018 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:30 pm
danGFSOC wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:22 pm
Let's talk about serious things. In your opinion, how much is the CV of the applicant important to get the fellowship? I have mixed feelings on this. Sometimes people with very fragile CVs get it, while people with long lists of articles on international peer-reviews and high-impact journals do not get it...
well, the evaluators are advised to take into account the information in the CVs when assessing the three evaluation criteria and also take into account the researchers' track record in relation to their level of experience. So it is a relatively decisive and important factor, I think.

xman25

Post by xman25 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:19 pm

dreamline wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:09 pm
cukovic wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:36 pm
danGFSOC wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:22 pm
Let's talk about serious things. In your opinion, how much is the CV of the applicant important to get the fellowship? I have mixed feelings on this. Sometimes people with very fragile CVs get it, while people with long lists of articles on international peer-reviews and high-impact journals do not get it...
I think their focus is only on the project proposal. I googled a bit in a last couple of weeks. Some of the winners had a very few citations and published papers. The point of this fellowship is to help fresh postdocs to boost their independence and maturity.
Yes, I think so. Last year, I heard a guy who published a paper in Science but failed to obtain the fellowship.
This guy should be classified as over qualified in reviewer's eye.

megasphaera

Post by megasphaera » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:27 pm

Do not worry. I know couple of people with only one first author paper that got it.
I also know people with nature or science papers that did not get it. If you think that a science paper will give you a msca if, and you are not carefull with all the excellence, impact and implementation aspects, you are literally fucked.
xman25 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:05 pm
My CV is not very attractive at all, only have two first author publications.
But CV is quit important I think.
Last edited by megasphaera on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cukovic

Post by cukovic » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:27 pm

xman25 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:19 pm
dreamline wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:09 pm
cukovic wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:36 pm

I think their focus is only on the project proposal. I googled a bit in a last couple of weeks. Some of the winners had a very few citations and published papers. The point of this fellowship is to help fresh postdocs to boost their independence and maturity.
Yes, I think so. Last year, I heard a guy who published a paper in Science but failed to obtain the fellowship.
This guy should be classified as over qualified in reviewer's eye.
You may be a "Nobel prize winner", but if your proposal is a trash in evaluators' eyes, you will fail. Maybe some of them even have less references than applicant. Envy and jealously may be a reason for a low score :twisted:

hmdoel

Post by hmdoel » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:41 pm

From the objective, it is clear that the focus of MSCA is on the "training". if you can demonstrate that you need 2-3 years project to train yourself and to acquire a new skill, you have a chance to get it, doesn't matter in which career stage you are now

I think for someone with "great" publication and complete research skills, another grant such as ERC will be more appropriate

Objective:
The goal of the Individual Fellowships is to enhance the creative and innovative potential of experienced researchers, wishing to diversify their individual competence in terms of skill acquisition through advanced training, international and intersectoral mobility.

Individual Fellowships provide opportunities to researchers of any nationality to acquire and transfer new knowledge and to work on research and innovation in Europe (EU Member States and Horizon 2020 Associated Countries) and beyond. The scheme particularly supports the return and (re)integration of European researchers from outside Europe and those who have previously worked here, as well as researchers displaced by conflict outside the EU and Horizon 2020 Associated Countries. It also promotes the career restart of individual researchers who show great potential.

Fumansheh

Post by Fumansheh » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:44 pm

I think it does not matter how thick is your CV. It is all about the evaluators' discretion and the keywords you have chosen

sound

Post by sound » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:45 pm

This is why the PI's Cv is important as well as how much expertise they have training students. And if the students eventually are succesful. Its not about training oneself in science it also involves training towards management of project etc.
hmdoel wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:41 pm
From the objective, it is clear that the focus of MSCA is on the "training". if you can demonstrate that you need 2-3 years project to train yourself and to acquire a new skill, you have a chance to get it, doesn't matter in which career stage you are now

I think for someone with "great" publication and complete research skills, another grant such as ERC will be more appropriate

Objective:
The goal of the Individual Fellowships is to enhance the creative and innovative potential of experienced researchers, wishing to diversify their individual competence in terms of skill acquisition through advanced training, international and intersectoral mobility.

Individual Fellowships provide opportunities to researchers of any nationality to acquire and transfer new knowledge and to work on research and innovation in Europe (EU Member States and Horizon 2020 Associated Countries) and beyond. The scheme particularly supports the return and (re)integration of European researchers from outside Europe and those who have previously worked here, as well as researchers displaced by conflict outside the EU and Horizon 2020 Associated Countries. It also promotes the career restart of individual researchers who show great potential.

Bren

Post by Bren » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:46 pm

True, but if your research idea aint outstanding then you aint getting funded regardless of how great your training sections are. 1.1 & 1.2 are extremely important, and I would say they make a lasting impression on experts.

hmdoel wrote:

Objective:

sound

Post by sound » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:52 pm

Hmm ya true but I have seen some less than new projects or trainings being funded as well so not sure.
Bren wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:46 pm
True, but if your research idea aint outstanding then you aint getting funded regardless of how great your training sections are. 1.1 & 1.2 are extremely important, and I would say they make a lasting impression on experts.

hmdoel wrote:

Objective:

Rajendra

Post by Rajendra » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:59 pm

sorry for interruption, i just want to know the other link to see the status. outofdate working for me but what abt the other please share it if you have