2018 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2018)

curie_curious

Re: 2018 Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (H2020-MSCA-IF-2018)

Post by curie_curious » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:59 pm

Have we considered the possibility that they've lost all our applications and are just stalling while they come up with a strategy to deal with this impending crisis?

cukovic

Post by cukovic » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:03 pm

Fumansheh wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:58 pm
It is miserable, really. If we do not get any official notification from the EU about this delay, the results should be communcated by Feb 12.
Beacuse when I did submit my proposal, I submited to the EU portal, not to the NCP.
dreamline wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:53 pm
Fumansheh wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:52 pm
Seemingly right now nobody knows anything about the IF-2018 call, including all; NCP, host institutions, and EU :?
then who knows ... GOD??
Indeed, this portal is very poor. We should clearly know where is our application after every evaluation/ranking step/phase. With this number of applicants they will have problem with reserve list as well.

dreamline

Post by dreamline » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:04 pm

MSCA-IF-CAR_2018 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:57 pm
Concerning Brexit and the delay, I am just guessing, but maybe they are related. Below is a part of the FFG's analysis. My worry is maybe the EC is reluctant to finance MSCA fellows (with UK hosts), seeing that they have to decide in a month (30th of March) on how to deal, case by case, with changing their host organisation from UK to another country ! full analysis here: https://www.ffg.at/en/europe/brexit/msca

"Ongoing projects: The Fellow would have to find a new host organisation in an EU Member State/Associated Country (with the consent of the EC, a decision will be made on a case-by-case basis). Alternatively, the UK host organisation may continue to finance the project from national funds (see “underwrite guarantee“).[/b]
Future projects: New applications with host organisations located in the UK would no longer be possible as from 30 March 2019."
This info suggests that we have to wait until early April?

PetetheCat

Post by PetetheCat » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:05 pm

Here is the full white paper on H2020 and Brexit: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... update.pdf

I cannot see why Brexit would cause this delay. In the case of a no-deal Brexit "UK participants" (I don't see this term defined, so I presume UK institutions who are getting grant money - I don't know what happens if you are a UK citizen elsewhere in the EU) have their funding guaranteed. For MSCA this is fairly straightforward as it doesn't involve multiple institutions across Europe. But for some of the other schemes, it is more complicated because UK institutions may not be able to get EU money that they are then meant to give out to other institutions that they are partnering with elsewhere in the EU.

But the funding right now should be working on an assumption of an exit deal. If anything, a no-deal Brexit could then be good for all the folks outside the UK because if funding is pulled from the UK then maybe it will get redistributed to other grants! However, this is a long way off and clearly they can't not announce grant results that are due now based on some as-yet unknowable scenarios.

I would think it is more likely that the delay is some prosaic thing like the pure logistics of getting out so many announcements through their new portal.

dreamline

Post by dreamline » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:07 pm

Fumansheh wrote:
It is miserable, really. If we do not get any official notification from the EU about this delay, the results should be communcated by Feb 12.
Beacuse when I did submit my proposal, I submited to the EU portal, not to the NCP.
dreamline wrote:
Fumansheh wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:52 pm
Seemingly right now nobody knows anything about the IF-2018 call, including all; NCP, host institutions, and EU :?
then who knows ... GOD??
You mean 'should', right? deadline is not compulsive, they might go beyond the Feb 12.

PetetheCat

Post by PetetheCat » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:08 pm

dreamline wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:04 pm
MSCA-IF-CAR_2018 wrote:
Concerning Brexit and the delay, I am just guessing, but maybe they are related. Below is a part of the FFG's analysis. My worry is maybe the EC is reluctant to finance MSCA fellows (with UK hosts), seeing that they have to decide in a month (30th of March) on how to deal, case by case, with changing their host organisation from UK to another country ! full analysis here: https://www.ffg.at/en/europe/brexit/msca

"Ongoing projects: The Fellow would have to find a new host organisation in an EU Member State/Associated Country (with the consent of the EC, a decision will be made on a case-by-case basis). Alternatively, the UK host organisation may continue to finance the project from national funds (see “underwrite guarantee“).[/b]
Future projects: New applications with host organisations located in the UK would no longer be possible as from 30 March 2019."
Clearly they are not going to wait until early April to release results! People have fellowships to start! The more likely issue is that some people may find themselves in a nightmare trying to figure out what to do if a no-deal happens. But they are not going to sit on 10,000 grant decisions for two months past the deadline to determine this. :)

dreamline

Post by dreamline » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:15 pm

cukovic wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:03 pm
Fumansheh wrote:
dreamline wrote:

then who knows ... GOD??
Indeed, this portal is very poor. We should clearly know where is our application after every evaluation/ranking step/phase. With this number of applicants they will have problem with reserve list as well.
I guess they are reluctant to let us know much information. It's much easier to infer if you are winner or loser, they also need some space to rearrange the final list.
For example, if the passing line of a exam is 60, then you get 59. This does not necessary means you got a score of 59, maybe you could have passed the exam, but there is some ineffable reason, such as the number of people who passed the exam should not over a certain percentage.

MSCA-IF-CAR_2018

Post by MSCA-IF-CAR_2018 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:18 pm

PetetheCat wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:08 pm
dreamline wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:04 pm
MSCA-IF-CAR_2018 wrote:

Clearly they are not going to wait until early April to release results! People have fellowships to start! The more likely issue is that some people may find themselves in a nightmare trying to figure out what to do if a no-deal happens. But they are not going to sit on 10,000 grant decisions for two months past the deadline to determine this. :)

Clearly they will not wait until April, but maybe they are taking the nodeal brexit situation seriously now. That explains why they need more time: they are revising all successful applications, especially those with UK hosts! Why finance UK hosts if that means the EC have to revise these fellowships in a month! Also, everything is good for political pressure on the UK

danGFSOC

Post by danGFSOC » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:21 pm

Please, do not speculate too much with brexit etc without any solid ground or info... this adds just noise and worsens a situation that is already shitty.
Last edited by danGFSOC on Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fumansheh

Post by Fumansheh » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:21 pm

I see your point - but we believe this would have been already done in the discussion since Dec. not these days.
dreamline wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:15 pm
cukovic wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:03 pm
Fumansheh wrote:

I guess they are reluctant to let us know much information. It's much easier to infer if you are winner or loser, they also need some space to rearrange the final list.
For example, if the passing line of a exam is 60, then you get 59. This does not necessary means you got a score of 59, maybe you could have passed the exam, but there is some ineffable reason, such as the number of people who passed the exam should not over a certain percentage.